Why become a member? ×

Maxon AF9 - *SOLD*
£200
York

ped

A superb Mutron III clone, mint with box and manual. I really really like this pedal, but I'm not using it as much as my Mutrons. It makes much more sense for taking out of the house because of it's small footprint, flawless bypass etc, but I rarely need to take it anywhere and it doesn't get chosen at home as often.

They're really hard to find for some reason (I don't think it was a limited release?) but I had to import this one from Spain. This model is the latest version with knobs and nice little switches as opposed to the previous version with sliders; apparently they could no longer get hold of the fader pots for them. I think this version is more controllable and looks better.

Info below from the distributor website

Any questions let me know

Cheers

ped

The AF-9 is Maxon’s version of the venerable Mu-Tron III envelope filter circuit (original version, not HAZ reissue).  The biggest difference between the two circuits is that the AF-9 runs on a single 9V supply while the Mu-Tron ran at 18V.

In addition, the III had a Gain pot which controlled the output level of the pedal as well as the Threshold of the Filter – this was an awkward design, as it prevented increasing the filter sensitivity without raising the output volume of the pedal.

These items aside, the basic structures of the two circuits are very similar. The AF9 starts with a unity gain buffer Op Amp and then splits the signal into control and effected circuits. The control circuit is shaped by the Sensitivity pot and amplified by an Op Amp.  This control signal then travels to a series of two photocouplers.

The effected portion of the circuit split goes into a three Op Amp filter network that is almost identical to the Mu-Tron’s, right down to the Low Pass, Band Pass, and High Pass switch that selects which portion of the filter network is used.  These filters are triggered by the CdS cell side of the previously mentioned photocouplers.

The AF-9’s Range is selected by changing the gain structure of the filters.  After the filter network the signal is run through a unity gain buffer to provide a low impedance output.

• The AF-9 features Mechanical True Bypass switching via a Fujisoku 4PDT switch.
  • Input Impedance: 500K Ohms
  • Input Jack: 1/4 inch standard phone jack
  • Output Impedance: 10K Ohms
  • Output Jack: 1/4 inch standard phone jack
  • Output: 1
  • Residual Noise: -95 dB or less (input shorted IHF-A weighted)
  • Filter Frequency: 100 Hz 2 KHz (Low) / 200 Hz 4 KHz (High)
  • Controls: Sensitivity, Peak
  • Switch: Normal/Effect (true bypass configuration), Filter LP/BP/HP, Drive Up/Down, Range High/Low
  • Power Supply: 9V Manganese dry cell battery (6F22) or special AC adaptor
  • Power Voltage: DC9 V (Battery) / DC10 V (AC-adaptor)
  • Current Consumption: 17 mA (9 V) / 19 mA (10 V)
  • AC Adaptor: AC210N (option) Input: AC120V Output: DC9V/200 mA Center - / Sleeve +)
  • Dimensions (whole): 74 mm (W) x 124 mm (D) x 54 mm (H)
  • Weight: 580 g
  • Accessories: 9V Manganese dry cell battery (S-006P) x 1
  • Warranty Card: x 1
  • User's Manual: x 1

IMG_3814.jpeg

• Like 4

• ped changed the title to Maxon AF9 *SOLD*