Why become a member? ×

Quick post in favour of Hartke HD75 - surprisingly good for a cheap little combo!

kwmlondon

This isn't an in-depth review at all but I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the amp that was in the rehearsal space I used on Saturday. We were just having a fun jam, a few rock covers (Floyd, Police, Blockheads, Weezer, that kind of stuff) and I was a bit put out when I got in and saw I would be using the 75w Hartke combo that was provided by Pirate Studios, I didn't think it'd keep up with a drummer, but I was wrong! I was running a Dingwall Combustion via a Darkglass Adam (I know, I know, it's a metal rig and I'm mad for using it for rock/pop/funk but it's sooooo versatile!) and with everything set flat on the combo it coped very well with the rest of the band - the two guitarists were using 4x12x as well!

I can't comment about any of the tone shaping on the combo as I just left it flat, and there was only a single volume/gain but I had that at about half way and it was deep, clean and great to play through. The drummer wasn't really going for it though so this was definitely at rehearsal levels but still, when we played Another Brick In The Wall the bass comes in with a thunderous low D and that had real impact and drama - no farting or compression. 

I'm very much someone who likes to have a lot of power in reserve (carry a big stick, speak quietly etc.) but I'll hold my hands up and say that in this case I was wrong to turn my nose up at the Hartke and I'd happily use one again.

Edited by kwmlondon
Typo
  • Like 1

• kwmlondon changed the title to Quick post in favour of Hartke HD75 - surprisingly good for a cheap little combo!

There's been a number of occasions when 'cheap' gear on offer has really impressed. 

I remember many many years ago going for an audition at some studios in Wolverhampton. The amp I was to use was a Laney Linebacker 100 combo. I remember thinking that I wish I brought my Warwick amp and cabs along which at the time cost me a fortune. But I was really impressed with the Laney, it sounded so good with my Stingray. I never got the gig BTW, I was nowhere near cool enough to be in their trendy Indy band! 

I also recall going to watch a band at a local pub. By the time I got there they were already into their first set and walking through the door I was hit by the power of the bass. It was the sort of bass that thumps you right in the guts. Not necessarily muddy but punchy and deep. They were playing the typical classic rock pub stuff and the tone of the bass suited it perfectly. Again, a Laney combo (not sure what) and an old 60's Gibson EB bass. 

There's been many a time where I've watched bands and the bass has sounded great, while the amp has been pretty mediocre. 

• Like 1