Why become a member? ×

On Hold: BLASIUS AKM 5 Multiscale Bass - Fresh Pics Added
£1499
Midlands, UK

Kev

Up for sale I have a bit of a unique bass, built by Hungarian luthier Blasius!  This bass was built for hungarian musician Miklós Anga Kis to his exacting specs. 

Year: 2020

Topwood: Black Poplar

Bodywood: Roasted Poplar Core

Neck: Maple neck with Graphite reinforcement - multiscale 36" to 34"

Fretboard: Highly figured Ash Fretboard

Pickups: EMG Pickups

Preamp: Zolkow 3x Preamp

Hardware:  Hipshot Tuners and Bridge.  Sadowsky knobs. Schaller strap buttons.

Since factory, the original EMG DC pickups have been upgraded to the top end TWX pickups, with the original volume/blend control swapped out for the TWX push-pull volume pots to switch between humbucker and single coil mode.  The original volume/blend are still taped up in the control cavity.

The Zolkow preamp is a thing of genius.  It's a 3 band preamp with 12 internal dipswitches that control the frequencies of the bass, mids and treble.  Attached is a PDF (kindly provided by Papaya) that goes through how to set the switches for different frequencies (its not in english but its fairly obvious).  It also has a battery light indicator which reassuringly flashes green 3 times when the battery is fresh, twice if it's somewhat used, once when it's nearly out and flashes SOS when the battery is dead. (thanks to Peter for this info!) 

I've given the bass a full setup, neck is dead straight, action very low.  The bass is currently set up for drop F# tuning with fresh Payson Drop G set strings and sounds absolutely HUGE, however can easily be reverted to regular B standard without issue with the zero fret.  The nut behind the fret is carved from a lovely piece of wenge.

Condition is great.  The previous owner liked to experiment and added two additional strap buttons on the lower horn and near the arm contour, these have been removed but the small holes remain.  It has a couple of nicks and scratches, most significant being the bottom of the fretboard being chewed up a little by someone apparantly using a short allen key to adjust the neck (the nut is quite deep, i'll include a tool with the sale that doesn't damage the bass...).  Neck is wonderful and the fretboard is quite something.

This bass would cost around £3k new.  It pains me to sell but for some reason it's just not working out for me.

Fresh pics below taken this afternoon.  Also linked is a few videos of the bass in action, the first being made by Blasius and the other two from the previous owner.  The bass did not come with any case but I can include a Stagg Ndura gig bag.  Collection HUGLEY preferred as I have a distrust of couriers, happy to drive some distance to meet up.  Courier a last resort at your risk/cost.

Cash is king but trade offers welcome.

zolkowpreamps_223_v2_bekotes_hu.pdf

Edited by Kev
  • Like 10

• Kev changed the title to Blasius AKM 5 Multiscale Bass
  • Kev changed the title to FS/FT BLASIUS AKM 5 Multiscale Bass - Fresh Pics Added
  • Kev changed the title to On Hold: BLASIUS AKM 5 Multiscale Bass - Fresh Pics Added
  • Kev locked this topic