Why become a member? ×

Jack socket

plankspanker

A quick question concerning a Musicman SUB fiver that I've just picked up second hand; The bass plays well and is in good condition except for a dodgy jack socket. I've re-soldered the terminals and cleaned the contacts but although that has improved matters it's still not 100% reliable. I ordered a Puretone socket and some new strings from a well known retailer but realise now that this new socket is just a simple mono socket whereas I need one with a third contact which provides a ground connection for the battery when the jack plug is inserted. Is it just a stereo socket that is required and I should solder the battery negative to the ring terminal?

Typing this out it sounds pretty obvious but this is my first active bass!

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you will almost certainly need a stereo jack socket.  The battery is probably switched by the ring terminal, but as long as ground uses one and battery -ve uses the other of ring and sleeve and leave hot/output to the tip it'll be fine - it is the plugging in of a mono jack plug which shorts ring and sleeve together and sends it all to ground.

53 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Yes, you will almost certainly need a stereo jack socket.  The battery is probably switched by the ring terminal, but as long as ground uses one and battery -ve uses the other of ring and sleeve and leave hot/output to the tip it'll be fine - it is the plugging in of a mono jack plug which shorts ring and sleeve together and sends it all to ground.

Thanks, neepheid. All these years playing passives I've never given it a thought but I bet it's the same idea inside tuners and other pedals;  the battery -ve is wired to the ring terminal of a stereo socket but a mono plug in that socket shorts the ring and sleeve together and powers up the electronics. Must remember to never plug my stereo headphones into my tuner input!

• Like 1