Why become a member? ×

Modern Vintage 70s basses

wintoid

I bought a beautiful Modern Vintage MVP4-62 from our own @Sibob last year in gorgeous shell pink!  It's basically a remade 62 precision.  I found the build quality to be exceptional, and it sounded fantastic.  Unfortunately, the neck was of the wide but shallow variety, and I started to find that it cramped my hand if I played for too long, so traded it in against something else with a deeper neck.

I was just browsing the Modern Vintage site, as you do, and noticed that they are now advertising some 70s Ps and Js.  https://modernvintageguitars.com/product-category/modern-vintage-instruments/4-string-basses/modern-vintage-mvp472/

Just wondered whether any BassChatters had tried one of these, or knew anything about them.  I don't think they've been out very long.

I think essentially you’re going to get the same high quality, great sounding instrument, but with the ‘B’ width (1.625”) nut, my preference too! Presumably the pickup is voiced slightly differently too, but won’t be too much of a tweak I shouldn’t think. I’d love one of the 70’s Mocha ones they do!

Si

• Like 1

I asked Modern Vintage about the 70's P neck and they said...

The neck profile is essentially modeled after what people refer to as the ‘B’ neck of the ‘70s. It feels a bit more round, and while not much deeper, the narrower nut/taper combined with the rounded shoulders, feel like a bit more girth, but very fast and easy to play.

• Like 1