Why become a member? ×

Our new "EP" - feedback appreciated!

rasher80

Hola!

We're struggling to get any impartial feedback on the new recordings we did that will form the basis of our new "EP".

Please give the tracks a listen at [url="http://www.myspace.com/thesatellitetownsmusic"]The Satellite Towns[/url]

The tracks we recorded were

TUNNEL VISION
EMILY BUILT A BOAT
SEASIDE
THE DRONES

Cheers all :)

Gosh, this is hard - normally I'm really good at 'constructive criticism' of those much braver and better than myself, but not in this case.

I don't know anything about this type of music, that may be why. Also I'm not sure what you're going for with the recording!

However, I have listened to all four of the songs you mention with increasing interest and have thought of a couple things, please take them or leave them as you see fit. You know your music much better than anyone here does, especially me.

First, I love the beginning of 'The Drones' - often the slow build/rock out model of a song doesn't really work but I think this one really could and the piano intro is harmonically interesting anyway. Maybe you could think either about running the piano into the guitar riff if you're looking for the song to stitch together or having a bigger change in the loudness if you're trying to put a big surprise in? I also love the ending to this song, it just gets out of the way when it's done and I think that's great.

Second, there are several points where the timing between guitar and drums is not quite 'right', probably because there's so much off-beat in this type of music...I think you've got two choices - keep the mistiming and celebrate it in a punky way, or eliminate it through experience and go for a tidier sound.

Following on from the last thing, you don't quite sound like you're relaxing into the parts you're playing. I don't know how else to put that and I think it's probably actually a good thing, and I only mention it because the music I listen is generally pretty laid-back and heavily produced! If this is intentional, and I suspect it is, then you've hit the sound spot on.

Finally, you've got the classic drum rhythm with the syncopated snare backbeat (oo flashy words!!) sorted and it fits the style perfectly...but in the future it may pay you not to overuse it.

Basically, all the points above I think are things which someone smooth and produced like Sting would want to change but which an edgy, high-energy band like you will probably want to keep the same. It's all about what sound you're going for, and at the moment I think your sound, unusual as it is, matches your style rather well.

Hope the above hasn't come out too po-faced and twattish!

Cheers - really good listening! - not what I would normally gravitate towards but were I in the Manchester area I'd come see you play certainly

Jon