Why become a member? ×

MuTron clones or close approximations?

Undertone

Hi.  I'd be interested to hear recommendations for clones of the MuTron please.   Analog preferably, otherwise digital.

By clones I mean ideally very close to the MuTron sound (and more ideally, functionality). If that doesn't exist, then as good approximations as are reasonably available and cost significantly less than a MuTron will be helpful.

I'm fully prepared to accept that "you'll never find a substitute for a MuTron" or that there are no clones or decent approximations, but I just wanted to ask.

While we're at it, same question regarding a Future Impact FI-1 pedal too if anyone one knows.

Many Thanks

I’ve got a load of filters and have spent ages comparing them to my Mutron. To me, they key components of the Mutron sound are the range switch and the speed of the filter. The effect can feel quite subtle at times, like the filter is blended with clean but it’s just a very natural sound which lets the instruments character shine whilst filtering it in a very musical way, without being over the top or peaky. 

The absolute closest is the Maxon AF9. A/B comparison shows the Maxon has a slightly more even response across the strings and it has the advantage of a true bypass and smaller size. However the range switch in high mode sounds the same as the mutron in low mode. I rather like the high mode of the mutron so you can’t get that with the Maxon. But seriously it sounds almost exactly the same and I believe Maxon say it uses the same photocells and components. 

Next closest is the EHX Qtron/Qtron+ (old big box). They’re often compared unfavourably because - well just because - but I actually find them pretty similar. It’s possible to pretty much match the Mutron sound with one but in general it sounds a bit more ‘peaky’ which can be an advantage with some instruments. 

I’d quite like to try the Haz Mutron but keep missing them.

Have you used a Mutron in the past or heard one somewhere? You can sometimes get serviced ones from Soundgas in the UK for around £1000 but they hold their value. 

• Like 2

Many thanks - that's super helpful.  I've played through one, having borrowed a friend's MuTron for a month and played through a few in studios.  I wouldn't use one much which is why forking out £700+ isn't going to happen - I mostly just run compression, octaver, the odd filter (Spatial Delivery), and pre-amp (I've a few other trinkets). Previously playing mainly traditional funk / jazz-funk, some recent requirements have been more flamboyant.

Thanks again for the recommendations which I'll check out. Regards

To be clear, there appears to be standard and older big box versions of both the Q-tron and Q-tron+  -  the older with the footswitch in the left hand corner and the box in silver, the standard with the footswitch and the box all in black+colour.  Were you referring specifically to the older big box version or either please?

Also, the Q-tron+ appears to have slightly more features.

Also, the AF9 appears to exist in a newer 2-knob version and and older one with faders - would you expect them to be equally similar to the Mutron?

Thanks again.

Hi mate no worries, if I helps I could do a video showing them. Yes I mean the big box silver versions with the foot switch in the left hand corner. The + version has an effects loop and two filter speeds but sounds otherwise pretty much identical, although the gain is different on my + compared to my non-+, I use the + more because the foot switch on the other is a bit hit and miss.

We also mustn't forget the new version of the Mutron in the smaller housing, which may be worth trying. I never have as I like pedals that take a battery.

With regards to the AF9, I think the only reason they changed to the two knob version was because they could no longer get the fader pots for the old version. I'm told it's identical otherwise. I prefer the look of the two knob version (the little switches are really neat) but had real trouble finding one. I ended up importing one second hand from Spain or Italy, can't remember which.

Cheers

ped

IMG_4746.jpeg

• Like 3

My weapon of choice is a Vfe Mini Mu.

https://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/vfe/minimu#pictures

I was looking for an AF9 when I stumbled upon one for sale locally for a good price.

To be completely honest, I don’t use it by itself that often, but combined with octave and fuzz it sounds glorious.

Unfortunately I have no experience with an original mutron or the EHX offerings.

• Like 1

Thanks again. No video necessary thanks - I'm pretty adept w Google and spent most of last night searching and reading/listening. I read somewhere that the micro Mutron IV needs its gain changed when one switches from up to down - that's kind of a pain - but it's also why it has a CV input for a controller. The sound's supposed to be good though.  The Mini Mutron V sounds good too but at a little over half the price of a Mutron III but with only a Range and Lo/Hi switch, it doesn't seem worth it.