Why become a member? ×

Introducing....

megazap63

Hi to all fellow BPs,

I've just joined Basschat and would like to be courteous and introduce myself.

Living in London for around 2 years, from Australia originally, and currently working with a French jazz band (standards, funk and originals) doing gigs in London and Paris. I'm also starting work soon with a newly-formed salsa band, which plays its first gig next Sunday. I play mostly jazz now but have also done lots of funk, rnb, latin and rock gigs, and while I enjoy the challenge of playing most styles, at age 45, and after 25 years of doing gigs, I have settled on jazz as being my main interest. Conservatory-trained in Melbourne, many years ago.

Gear: Lots of Fenders - '62, '72, '75 and '08 fretted J basses, '73 fretless J bass (originally fretted). As you can tell, I love Fender J basses.

Second favourites are Musicmans, I have a '78 Stingray 4, '97 Sterling 4 (up for sale on this site) and '06 Stingray 5.

Rigs: Ampeg SVT-III Head (valve preamp, SS power amp), 2 Ampeg 4x10 cabs, EV TL-15 cab (20 years old and still going strong), Ashdown EVO II 500 Combo (2x10 + horn), Behringer BX1200 practice amp.

Effects: Musitronics Mu-tron III, HAZ Labs Mu-tron III reissue, EHX Bassballs (El Nano), Korg G5 Synth Module (up for sale on this site), EHX Bass Big Muff, Boss OC2 Octaver, EBS Multicomp, EBS Dynaverb.

Looking forward to many interesting and informative music/bass discussions, and perhaps meeting some of you in the future!

Cheers and best wishes

[quote name='megazap63' post='472925' date='Apr 26 2009, 08:48 PM']Hi to all fellow BPs,

I've just joined Basschat and would like to be courteous and introduce myself.

Living in London for around 2 years, from Australia originally, and currently working with a French jazz band (standards, funk and originals) doing gigs in London and Paris. I'm also starting work soon with a newly-formed salsa band, which plays its first gig next Sunday. I play mostly jazz now but have also done lots of funk, rnb, latin and rock gigs, and while I enjoy the challenge of playing most styles, at age 45, and after 25 years of doing gigs, I have settled on jazz as being my main interest. Conservatory-trained in Melbourne, many years ago.

Gear: Lots of Fenders - '62, '72, '75 and '08 fretted J basses, '73 fretless J bass (originally fretted). As you can tell, I love Fender J basses.

Second favourites are Musicmans, I have a '78 Stingray 4, '97 Sterling 4 (up for sale on this site) and '06 Stingray 5.

Rigs: Ampeg SVT-III Head (valve preamp, SS power amp), 2 Ampeg 4x10 cabs, EV TL-15 cab (20 years old and still going strong), Ashdown EVO II 500 Combo (2x10 + horn), Behringer BX1200 practice amp.

Effects: Musitronics Mu-tron III, HAZ Labs Mu-tron III reissue, EHX Bassballs (El Nano), Korg G5 Synth Module (up for sale on this site), EHX Bass Big Muff, Boss OC2 Octaver, EBS Multicomp, EBS Dynaverb.

Looking forward to many interesting and informative music/bass discussions, and perhaps meeting some of you in the future!

Cheers and best wishes[/quote]

Forgot to add Sadowsky outboard preamp!

[quote name='josh3184' post='472929' date='Apr 26 2009, 08:52 PM']piiiics!

Nice collection there, hope you enjoy the forum![/quote]

Hey Josh,

Most of the Fenders are back in Oz (where I'll return, eventually), along with the original Mu-tron III, Ampeg rig and '78 Stingray (too valuable and rare to ship over here). I brought across the Sterling and Stingray 5 and purchased the '08 J bass over here, together with the Ashdown rig and Sadowsky and EBS pedals.

Gotta say, gear over here in Europe is much less expensive than at home....we have to pay a ridiculous amount of $$ for stuff in Oz.

BTW, if you ever buy a new Fender American Standard J bass I can guarantee it'll end up as a keeper - they sound and feel awesome!! Currently, my favourite working instrument.....

Will post up some pix as soon as I can sort out the lens problem with my camera!

Cheers, Chris

[quote name='megazap63' post='472953' date='Apr 26 2009, 09:24 PM']Cheers mate!! And all the Kiwis I've met have been very cool dudes....if somewhat crazy!![/quote]
I'm english really, just grew up there...shhh, it'll be our secret. :)

[quote name='maxrossell' post='472961' date='Apr 26 2009, 09:48 PM']Hey man, welcome to the board.

I gotta say though, I'm surprised that after listing all of that killer gear, you added a Behringer 1200 amp, which is one of the worst P.O.S I've ever seen, heard or played through.[/quote]

Hi Max, I agree its a POS compared to all my other little goodies - but it was DIRT CHEAP (as in AUS$75) and takes up such a small amount of space in my practice room!! Of course, I'd never dream of taking it to a gig.....

Point taken though.....pretend I never even mentioned it!!

Cheers