Why become a member? ×

Cheap DB v. Relatively Cheap EUB

The Funk

So, I ordered a cheap double bass from Gear4music, which arrived today. It looks great except the neck's come apart from the body. They were very apologetic and have arranged to collect it from me and send out a replacement. They also offered me a refund instead of a replacement.

Anyway, I was looking up some info on how to store away a double bass for shipping/travel to see if they'd packed it wrong or if the bass isn't all that sturdy when I stumbled across a secondhand bass for sale on the Bassix site. It comes in at just under £1000.

So now I'm trying to decide whether to cancel the order for the DB and go for a decent-looking EUB instead.

If I went for the EUB I'd gig it more than the DB (public transport for me). If I went for the DB there'd be some smaller gigs where I could go fully acoustic. I hate the idea of acoustic bass guitars. I've tried several and they just don't give me the kind of sound I want.

Any advice?

Double bass is the real deal in my opinion, EUB is pretending to be something which it is not, though if you get a double bass from gear4music it will probably need a decent setup, i think that you will in the end regret not going for the real thing as it is great fun, Jez.

I think you have to look at EUB as a separate instrument. It is never going to sound like a DB as an EB with a bridge pickup doesn't get close either. There are some high end models that get pretty close though but they usually have an acoustic element to them.

A DB with a good setup just can't be beaten for sound but they can be a problem in a tight space at a gig. You'll have to buy a pickup as well which could set you back another £100 for a good one and I wouldn't go for anything less if you want a good sound.