Why become a member? ×

Is the BAE dMP as a preamp for bass-recording worth the money?

n.d.escher

• 2 weeks later...

Well the expensive BAE preamp/DI did sound ever so slightly marginally better to me, like clearer, more well defined, and having more depth, though the cheap Focusrite preamp came in as a close second to me, and the mid priced one last, and that in all examples, except for the second, I believe picked played, example, where to me the Focusrite actually sounded best to me, but with the BAE as a close second, and again the mid priced one last.

However my judgement might very well to some degree have been affected to differences in your playing and slightly different set output levels of the 3 preamps, so no finite conclusion really.

Some of this uncertainty in the test result could have been avoided/eliminated by running the same played piece through each preamp using a looper or similar, to make sure that all 3 preamps actually received the exact same signal, which most definitely wasn't the case playing manually. 

In any case the ever so slight different in this raw DI'ed signal is going to be diminished even further, quite likely to the point of it becoming absolutely and completely indistinguishable once pre production have been applied to the recorded bass track, and for sure will in the final mix with other instruments. 

Also we are talking really minimal differences, and who even know how close it matches what you actually recorded with the inevitable YouTube compression having been applied to this video when you uploaded it.

I think the only thing I really can conclude from this video is that the mid priced preamp demonstrated in this video most likely is not worth it, and in my personal current economical situation that the BAE isn't really either, but might had been if I had happen to be rich.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash