Why become a member? ×

NPD: Guptech Custom A(((ole)))

admiralchew

I very rarely do new pedal day posts but I think the circumstances justify it here. Last week I received a package from Guptech containing the Bass Edition of their A(((ole))) / Death By Unicorn Reedition ‘22 that my partner gave me for Christmas.

The pedal itself is a take on the Life Pedal and a good one at that. The EQD Sunn O))) Life Pedal v3 was one of my favourite pedals of 2022 and there’s a lot of overlap here. The architecture is similar, being a heavy distortion/octave/boost, albeit the A(((ole))) has a clean blend between the distortion/octave and the clean signal. I love the Life Pedal through a cab sim, it absolutely crushes, but I prefer to use the A(((ole))) without a cab sim.

The reason that I’m so excited though is that the very kind folks at Guptech adapted their usual cover art from this:

C2792143-7B8C-4EBB-82B8-5F7DD9E08B0A.thumb.jpeg.3d4b5f7b0d95ceb072baf30124b25cc3.jpeg

To this:

F2DAD1FF-57C8-4572-9D2F-7B41780B4672.jpeg.46e7192cf4d54d97956793ddf58b2b94.jpeg

Because:

9F8B9BC0-6C37-4910-8089-B628A815331A.thumb.jpeg.afbfd45fa4eb9a9b6faf73c6b4aa0ee6.jpeg

This is Ampigalei, my partner’s Greek cat. Given the pedal is usual called the A(((ole))) it seemed too fitting, with this being the result:

2E16351F-7467-4535-ACC2-2D8C3AF3D284.thumb.jpeg.f1e98aaf8f90f295f1bd2c3dfc0e155f.jpeg

I wanted to say a big thank you to Guillaume and Emilie at Guptech, particularly the latter for cutting the vinyl to so perfectly recreate Ampigalei. They’ve been a pleasure to deal with and I’d recommend them highly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danbowskill said:

I like the look of this

Yeah, I’m definitely happy with it, and not just for the looks. I’ve been on a bit of a drone/doom journey and this has plenty of dirt. The mix knob makes it quite girthy and then the octave up makes it like an all-encompassing wall of noise. The boost then just gives it something a bit extra, a sparkle perhaps, if something so heavy can sparkle.

If I recall correctly, it’s based on a 2019 Guptech design, the Death By Unicorn, that was fashioned after the Life Pedal v2. I’ve not played the v2 but the v3 is stellar. I’m in the process of moving so I’ve not had as much chance as I’d like to explore the A(((ole)))‘s but I like it. I haven’t yet been able to dial in a v3 sound but I’m assuming it’s close to the v2 as it’s in the same ballpark. I’m currently preferring it without a cabsim.

27 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

I see they do a smaller version (without octave switch) wonder if it could accommodate a blend?

It’s worth messaging them to ask. Guillaume was very responsive and kind with his time (he was answering questions such as “can you make my cat please?” after all).

• Like 1