Why become a member? ×

Silent Basses

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi there

Due to long working hours my available time for praticing at home is between 08.30 pm - midnight, I live in a multi tennant building built in the London conversion style of dividing a building into flats using just plaster board so noise really is an issue and I think I would be upsetting people if I practice my double bass past 9.30 pm every night, and that's without a bow.

So my question is, is there something out there that is affordable and most importantly feels like a double bass but dosent make any noise, I have an NS CR5 and while this is a fantastic sounding instrument that is very playable, it is a 5 string and it dosent feel like a DB for practicing, I have played with a Yamaha SLB 1000 but didnt get on with the feel of that either.

I have tried just practicing for an hour or so but it is very frustrating as I want to make progress.

I suppose keep trying EUB's until you find one that feels right for you.

Alternatively, how big is your flat? Are you able to construct a practice booth e.g. four walls, roof and isolated floor that is foam lined yet can be dis-assembled and stored. There are easy ways of making the isolation floor (ply and tennis balls), it's just a matter if you have the space.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='TPJ' post='471438' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:47 PM']I suppose keep trying EUB's until you find one that feels right for you.

Alternatively, how big is your flat? Are you able to construct a practice booth e.g. four walls, roof and isolated floor that is foam lined yet can be dis-assembled and stored. There are easy ways of making the isolation floor (ply and tennis balls), it's just a matter if you have the space.[/quote]

Hiya mate

Thanks for that, yep, I guess I'll have to keep looking, re the size of my flat, I cant buy a new T shirt without carefully making sure I have thrown the old one away first :) when I do get somewhere bigger I will definatley consider building something like that though.

Hi there,
Inspired by the weight of this:

[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/2845"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/2845[/url]

I made myself a bass mute of MDF offcuts and draughtproofing foam(!) Rather than fitting on the top of the bridge like a standard mute, it goes on the upper face using a rubber band (again(!)) to hold it still, hence no major stresses on the bridge. Cuts the volume dramatically so no need to switch instruments for practice.
I'll try to get a decent pic of mine for you.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='hubrad' post='471638' date='Apr 24 2009, 03:54 PM']Hi there,
Inspired by the weight of this:

[url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/2845"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/2845[/url]

I made myself a bass mute of MDF offcuts and draughtproofing foam(!) Rather than fitting on the top of the bridge like a standard mute, it goes on the upper face using a rubber band (again(!)) to hold it still, hence no major stresses on the bridge. Cuts the volume dramatically so no need to switch instruments for practice.
I'll try to get a decent pic of mine for you.[/quote]

Hiya mate

That sounds really promising, a pic would be great, I cant quite visualise how it works, I have a rubber mute but it's still too loud, in fact it makes it more bassy.

Edited by subaudio

Yes, we sell quite a few violin mutes, and I've never been too impressed with even the tone of the rubber ones.
That metal thing makes an acoustic violin sound more like an unamplified electric by absorbing most of the vibration at the bridge.
My bass mute is MDF/foam/MDF/foam/MDF sandwiched together, so similar in effect. I suppose to make a bass version of the pictured violin one you'd need something the size of a cat food tin full of lead shot - don't fancy the weight of that. :)

[quote name='subaudio' post='471755' date='Apr 24 2009, 06:18 PM']Hiya mate

That sounds really promising, a pic would be great, I cant quite visualise how it works, I have a rubber mute but it's still too loud, in fact it makes it more bassy.[/quote]

+1 for the pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps,
Sorry for taking an age with these.
The first two show the mute in situ; the rubber band, inevitable, needs replacing from time to time as it perishes. It's not load bearing anyway so no great hassle there.

[attachment=24993:mute1.jpg]
[attachment=24994:mute2.jpg]

The 3rd pic shows the underside.. nothing nore fancy than draught excluder foam! In between the slices, I think it's just those foam double sided sticky strips.

[attachment=24995:mute3.jpg]

As is, this cuts the volume a fair bit, mainly removing the real bottomy stuff but leaving enough for either hearing yourself or practicing with an acoustic guitarist. I may experiment further with a heavier one to lose more volume; if anyone else has a go let me know!

HUGH

Guest subaudio

[quote name='hubrad' post='484283' date='May 10 2009, 01:05 PM']Hi chaps,
Sorry for taking an age with these.
The first two show the mute in situ; the rubber band, inevitable, needs replacing from time to time as it perishes. It's not load bearing anyway so no great hassle there.

[attachment=24993:mute1.jpg]
[attachment=24994:mute2.jpg]

The 3rd pic shows the underside.. nothing nore fancy than draught excluder foam! In between the slices, I think it's just those foam double sided sticky strips.

[attachment=24995:mute3.jpg]

As is, this cuts the volume a fair bit, mainly removing the real bottomy stuff but leaving enough for either hearing yourself or practicing with an acoustic guitarist. I may experiment further with a heavier one to lose more volume; if anyone else has a go let me know!

HUGH[/quote]

Many thanks for that Hugh, I think I've made my mind up on the Yamaha SLB200 now, as I will also be using a bow now (finally) thanks for the advice though and if I move to somewhere where I dont need to tip toe around so much I will definatley give your idea a go.

So if any one has a Yamaha silent bass 2000 they would like to swap for an NS CR5 EUB, please get in touch.

Cheers

Marti

Edited by subaudio