Why become a member? ×

RMI Retrocat PJ £220 - Great playable thin neck - *SOLD*
£220
Baldock, North Hertfordshire

also played on

Thanks for checking the listing. This is my RMI Retrocat, which unfortunately is not getting used and is just living in a case, so hopefully someone can keep her being played on a regular basis.

I really like the headstock design, something different and the matching body finish really works. The neck profile is thin (D) and is really really playable, fast, with easy access to the higher frets.  A good range of tones from the PJ configuration and matching black hardware completes the look.  

It weighs in at a very comfy 8.6 lbs (3.9kgs) and balances very well on the strap. There are a few light marks on the body, some play swirls behind the upper horn and some pick marks and swirls on the pickguard, but overall, a very tidy bass, wearing new flats. 

I'm based in North Hertfordshire and ideally this would be collection only or a near meet up as I don't have a hard case or suitable boxes for shipping.

Many thanks

The spec is as follows:

Crafted in Korea 

Thin profile neck

Extended fret range with a strong, scalloped neck joint for comfortable access to the upper register

Master volume with pan pot for easier tonal blending

Alder body in 3-tone Sunburst finish, and 3-ply BWB pickguard

Maple fingerboard

5-way reinforced bolt-on maple neck

34" scale

22 medium jumbo 2.8mm gauge frets

Graphite nut width: 38mm

Passive controls - Volume, balance, tone

Wilkinson single coil jazz pickups

Wilkinson vintage style bridge with brass saddles - 19mm string spacing

Side dot markers

Weight - 3.9Kg

IMG_8175.JPG

IMG_8177.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG

IMG_8172.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG

IMG_8170.JPG

IMG_8174.JPG

IMG_8183.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8182.JPG

IMG_8168.JPG

Edited by also played on
add photo
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BetaFunk said:

I really like RMI basses and I still own 2 of them. Mark Ransay designs great basses and this one is a bargain so GLWTS

Thank you. His work is new to me but he is obviously an experienced player and that really shows in the little details in his designs, the pure ease of the neck playability, the upper access, the balance and his attention to the build quality...I'm talking myself into keeping this....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, also played on said:

Thank you. His work is new to me but he is obviously an experienced player and that really shows in the little details in his designs, the pure ease of the neck playability, the upper access, the balance and his attention to the build quality...I'm talking myself into keeping this....

Yes certainly knows his stuff and is a really nice guy. I got to know Mark when I lived near him in London and bought a Fretless and a Piccolo bass from him which I still have. 

Edited by BetaFunk
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, reggieboomboom said:

Is he still making basses? He doesn't have much of an online presence.

Yes I think so as he put a couple of videos up on his YouTube channel last year. I agree though that he doesn't have much if any presence online. He did though always sell a lot of 6,7, 8 and 10 string basses all around the world rather than just the UK. 

• also played on changed the title to Sold Pending -RMI Retrocat PJ £220 - Great playable thin neck