Why become a member? ×

Hardcase for 6 string Dingwall

alinbassplayer

Hey guys, 

I need some advice from my fellow low end aficionados, and after I have searched on the forum, i haven't found topics related to anything on the lines of what i need, so here we go(context), I play a 6 string Dingwall AB1, i don't know how it relates to the Combustion and NG model necks, but i assume it's pretty similar, it's a wide neck, thin but wide, a few months ago i purchased one of those Tourtech Pro bass cases, which, for any bass up to 5 strings was good(my former 5 string F series LTD was well protected in it and sat very comfortably in it), however for the Dingwall, the groove in which the neck sat was too narrow and it didn't fit, kinda just stayed above it and was afraid it would break, so when i sold my LTD, I basically just sent the case with it as it was perfect for it, new owner said he loves it :)

I also used to own a Hiscox Liteflite before the Dingwall and sold it with one of my previous basses as, at the time, it took up space and i never really used it, i'm more of a Gigbag person(have a Reunion Blues and a Mono), but circumstances currently push my needs towards a hardcase for a few gigs abroad, either to send via courier or to take with me as checked baggage, regardless, i need a decent case that won't weigh a ton but also protect my chonky necked "baby" enough.

So i have a few questions for people who have owned/used 6 string Dingwalls in a hardcase:

1. Is the Dingwall Hiscox case that Bassdirect is selling just a normal Liteflite but engraved with the D on the side, so basically if i just get a normal Hiscox Liteflite there won;t be any issues in length?

2. What other hardshell cases have you tried that worked and didn't need any modifications to get the neck to fit, or the body to fit or whatever

3. Has anyone used the Ibanez MRB500C case and if so what are your thoughts on it? I like the fact that it has adjustable blocks for different shaped basses(obviously directed at the Ibanez line-up) and am curious if a Dingwall would fit in it, was thinking because it suits the BTB 6 and 7's it would work as the neck is somewhat similar

4. Has anyone used the Gator Bass GTSA case(led or not) for a 6 stringer either Dingwall 6er or even an Ibanez BTB 6 or more and what are your thoughts on that?

4. Has anyone used a gigbag(Mono or Reunion Blues Continental) to fly with a Dingwall bass and what did you do with it? Checked in baggage or on the plane? If you could describe any tricks or your experience overall i would be really appreciative.

I am already in the process of getting a headless Ibanez, just in case i can't take my Dingwall with me in a safe way, and just take that on the plane with me but would much prefer my main axe to come with me for these gigs. Money isn't necessarily an issue, but i wouldn't spend more than about £200-£250 on it, i think it quite a sensible price for a case that i will no be using that often and i live in an apartment so space is a bit of an issue.

I would really appreciate any opinion/help/experience you guys have had with extended range instruments on, let's call them DIY/mini, tours abroad.

Thanks 

I can't help with the fit of a 6 string Dingwall, but one way to guarantee a good fit is to get a custom flightcase made. I got one made for my Mustang when I toured Japan because I couldn't get an off the shelf product that fitted properly for love nor money. You just trace the instrument on a roll of paper, post it to them and then they make the case. It's still in great condition now. 

https://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=bass-guitar-flight-case-fits-all-3140-3980

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 22:12, MichaelDean said:

I can't help with the fit of a 6 string Dingwall, but one way to guarantee a good fit is to get a custom flightcase made. I got one made for my Mustang when I toured Japan because I couldn't get an off the shelf product that fitted properly for love nor money. You just trace the instrument on a roll of paper, post it to them and then they make the case. It's still in great condition now. 

https://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=bass-guitar-flight-case-fits-all-3140-3980

Thanks Michael, i was thinking of doing that, but one of the reasons why i don't want to go to a custom shaped case is because of the EHB that's coming soon, i wanted something that i can primarily use for the Dingwall but could also use should i need to take the EHB with me as well or instead. hope that makes sense. But thank you for that, very useful link and info.

2 hours ago, alinbassplayer said:

Thanks Michael, i was thinking of doing that, but one of the reasons why i don't want to go to a custom shaped case is because of the EHB that's coming soon, i wanted something that i can primarily use for the Dingwall but could also use should i need to take the EHB with me as well or instead. hope that makes sense. But thank you for that, very useful link and info.

The EHB will probably not fit that snugly in a bass hardcase anyway, so it might be a moot point. The lack of a headstock means they can fit in guitar gigbags/cases.