Why become a member? ×

Shaping tool recommendations ...

SamIAm

2 minutes ago, 3below said:

Just add to this table saws and you have the holy trinity of digit decapitation (or worse).

Yes for sure. Never look up to answer someones question when using any of them.

It drove me crazy how many people would throw away the push sticks I used to regularly make in the work place.

Like they think its not manly to use them

Ah we forgot bandsaws!

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 2

I am a member of a brilliant maker space which has loads of limb removal capable machines, table saw, band saw, chop saw, etc as well as a plethora of hand power tools.  They have a great scheme where one must undergo an induction in the use of a machine by a trained user and they are very through about the safety aspects (so much so I am almost too terrified to use them lol!)

Unfortunately, my back injury is making it difficult for me to get to the workshop (along with my seemingly neutron star density block of wood), hence the attempt to do it at home.

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth

19 minutes ago, Smanth said:

I am a member of a brilliant maker space which has loads of limb removal capable machines, table saw, band saw, chop saw, etc as well as a plethora of hand power tools.  They have a great scheme where one must undergo an induction in the use of a machine by a trained user and they are very through about the safety aspects (so much so I am almost too terrified to use them lol!)

Unfortunately, my back injury is making it difficult for me to get to the workshop (along with my seemingly neutron star density block of wood), hence the attempt to do it at home.

S'manth x

Is there as bobbin sander at the maker space? They are very popular for body shaping (the fine detail)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Didn't know of your back. Will pray it gets better🤗

Thank you! I suffered a back injury in Aug 2021 (Whilst helping move a very heavy patient without the proper equipment) resulting in a slipped disk and several months more or less immobile, it seemed to have resolved but flared up again in October, so at present my mobility is much reduced, moveing anything of any weight is a no no and standing for any period is painful.

49 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Is there as bobbin sander at the maker space? They are very popular for body shaping (the fine detail)

I'm not sure (I've asked in our discord channel), I know we have one of these

image.thumb.png.b5941d8405f6bf60cf28982ce674404a.png

S'manth x

8 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Yes for sure. Never look up to answer someones question when using any of them.

A former colleague of mine did this when a student asked him a question.  Bandsaws are not hand friendly devices :(

Whilst working out my time  (I had made myself redundant with early retirement - result) I blagged myself a place on a wood machine tools safety course through work (totally unrelated to my job).  Much highly useful advice was received.

• Like 1