Why become a member? ×

Bradford Price Project - Caledonia Skies

Bassassin

New song & video from my current musical endeavour. Hopefully won't be removed for political content - but you can sing along & dance to it (although possibly not the 10/8 bits) whether you empathise with the separatist sentiments or not!

Wilfully a bit more celtic rock than my usual prog nonsense, and it was good to indulge some of my early musical influences - Stuart Adamson was a huge inspiration when I first picked up a guitar and I enjoyed unashamedly channeling that influence throughout this piece!

Recorded with Reaper using a Behringer UMD404 interface, guitar noises all courtesy of the freebie version of ToneLib GFX, bass went through a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro, & drums courtesy of the MT Power Drumkit plugin. Some of you might be unsurprised by the vintage MIJ guitars involved - '84 Yamaha SG1500, '86-ish E-serial Squier Strat, and bass-wise (despite the silly headless Rickenfaker in the vid) an '82 Ibanez RS924 Roadster for everything bar the intro chordal parts. Those were done with a mid 80s Riverhead Unicorn strung with flats.

I have a tendency to get bored & wander off once a composition gets to the 'that doesn't sound bad' point of mixing, and this song's no exception - in fact my production skills are sufficiently limited that continued meddling has been known to make things worse. Still, very happy with the clarity & definition of everything & it sounds pretty decent on a variety of different setups. It's sort-of mastered using Izotope Ozone Elements, using whichever preset it was that made it sound loud...

Vid was cobbled together on Shotcut from a variety of sort-of appropriate royalty-free content & stuff we recorded/photographed ourselves. Having started out with the idea being a simple slideshow/lyric video, it did reach the point of almost collapsing under the weight of its/our ambition. But I feel that is the appropriate prog path.

• Like 1