Why become a member? ×

Off the back of my lesson on 'La Grange' a few weeks ago I've had a request to look at ‘Blue Jeans Blues’, also by ZZ Top.

I wasn't really aware of this great ZZ Top tune, although I'm sure I must have heard it at some point. If you don’t know it then check it out and you might be as surprised as me that ZZ Top played such a 'pure' Blues tune. It's such classic Blues but the ‘ZZ Top sound’ is also unmistakably in there too.

This is a very accessible bass line for all levels but after mastering the notes, the challenge is then where you place the notes in relation to the beat. If you haven't thought about playing behind the beat before, you'll benefit from the end part of this lesson.

Throughout my professional career as a bass player, being able to play the notes correctly is always a given, but 'feel' is what we frequently discuss and work on. You don't always have to play right on the beat.

Find out more in the latest YouTube lesson. 

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/zIadbiAVmYU