Why become a member? ×

Dead MicroThumpinator

JPJ

So about halfway through rehearsals last Friday I started to get a nasty square wave distortion somewhere in my signal chain. Eliminating my pedal board showed it wasn't my amp so I carried on without my pedals (not a big issue) and sat down tonight to diagnose the issue. First I noticed that the lovely blue LED of the permanently on MicroThumpinator wasn't illuminated and flipping my board over I could see that the two LED's on my Cioks supply were not illuminated either. After pulling a few cables and rejigging a few things I found that the source of the distortion is the MicroThumpinator. Has anybody experienced a similar failure before (I thought these things were so simple as to be almost bombproof)?

Next task will be to drop an email to Max @ SFX to see if he can shed any light on the matter. I've had the unit a few years now so it will be well out of any warranty. Separately, what are peoples preferred alternatives?

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close out on this thread, I sent the Micro Thumpinator back to Max at SFX and he identified the problem as something fried in the power supply. I flipped my meagre pedal board over and to my horror realised that the micro switches for the output used to power the Thumpinator were set to 18v and not 9v. It’s most likely been like this for a while so I think we can chalk this one down to ‘user error’. Anyway, Max repaired my unit for a very reasonable sum and returned it to me promptly. Case closed.

• Like 4