Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR Basses: Misplaced bridge common issue?

SR-Love

I've just gone round the room looking at six or seven of my basses, and in every single case the bridge saddles are adjusted with the greatest string length on the lowest string, whereas you've got the shortest string length on the lowest string. That seems very odd to me.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've just gone round the room looking at six or seven of my basses, and in every single case the bridge saddles are adjusted with the greatest string length on the lowest string, whereas you've got the shortest string length on the lowest string. That seems very odd to me.

Thank you for providing this info.

Unfortunately, the wide-angle lens of the camera shows the distances between the string riders somewhat imprecisely. Measured with a ruler, the string rider of the G string is closest to the pickup, followed a little behind by the D, A and E riders at a somewhat equal distance.

I don't know, but maybe this has something to do with the fact that I play flatwound strings, that are on this bass too. For comparison I tried Fender 9050L flatwounds on this bass and the string riders had to be placed the same way all the way to the front, as it is the case with the Thomastik flatwounds.

Additionally, I took the Thomastik strings off my Ibanez SR5000 bass and put them on my Yamaha RBX 774 bass which has also 1-string bridges and had no problems to adjust the intonation. I played the Yamaha Bass many years and put a wide variety of strings on it and never came across the problem that the intonation couldn't be adjusted, or the string riders were close to the stop.

Edited by SR-Love

• 3 weeks later...

I had an embarrassing number of soundgears and I still have a few. I had intonation issues on one only—an SR1205, since sold, which remains one of the best playing basses I’ve ever owned.

The intonation issue was only on the A and E strings but, here’s the kicker, the intonation was spot on with the suggestion strings (105 gauge). So, d’addario EXL165 yes, EXL170 no.

I don’t really play flats, but I also have to say that in my experience flats can be a bit weird and inconsistent intonation-wise.