Why become a member? ×

Roland micro cube & vocal amp

knirirr

Later in the year I'll have to do a background jazz gig, most likely with acoustic instruments only (guitar and bass), no saxophones and a reduced drum kit, where the singer might benefit from a small amount of amplification.
No PA will be provided and so I wondered if a cheap microphone might be plugged in to my Roland bass micro cube. This does appear to have a microphone EQ setting on it.
Does this sound reasonable? If so, then the microphone mentioned has an XLR connector (I have no idea what that is) and the amp has a standard instrument plug. Are there any particular adapters that might work for this?

You might find the mic signal is weak because the impedance is different. Mics are low impedance, instrument inputs are high impedance.

If you get an impedance matching transformer, you'll get much better results.

I use the Audix T50K, but I'm sure there are other ones available!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

You might find the mic signal is weak because the impedance is different. Mics are low impedance, instrument inputs are high impedance.

If you get an impedance matching transformer, you'll get much better results.

I use the Audix T50K, but I'm sure there are other ones available!

Well noted, I had forgotten about this factor (largely due to not having to deal with it, conversely the other way round, guitars into HiZ inputs I am still well on it) .  An example impedance matching transformer on Ebay here. The other way round the problem is to find (borrow) a cheap two / four channel mixer  (Ebay/Gumtree etc,  Behringer / Peavey  or something like this)   @knirirr were you closer to mid Wales I would lend you the necessary kit.

Edited by 3below