Why become a member? ×

Counter-intuituve discovery - strings.

fretmeister

Since I ruptured a tendon in my right hand middle finger, and then developed arthritis in the proximal finger joint I have been moving to lighter and lighter gauge strings in the hope that I might reduce the times when the finger kind of hooks onto the string rather than just plucking it.

On one of my basses I've also got a ramp which really helps.

But I needed to restring my shorty and I put some Dunlop 45-105 flats on it and they are pretty high tension compared with what I'm used to, even with the short scale.

It does not have a ramp on it (yet). But I wasn't hooking nearly as much as I was with the previous strings.

So, experiment time. I took off the very flexible Ti Jazz Rounds that were on my Sanderg 5 and put on a set of D'addario Prosteel 45-105 (with a Tapered .130 B). A quick tweak of the set up later I'm playing far more fluidly on it and it doesn't have a ramp yet (it will still get one).

It seems that the lower tension strings were too easy to move laterally so the damaged finger was pulling it along with it rather than plucking it and then moving onwards.

The higher tension strings cannot be moved as easily so it forces the finger to straighten and move past it instead, and the string doesn't get taken along for the ride.

Ok - my left hand is now complaining from doing more work, but that strength will build up quickly. I've not used 45-105 for decades. Usually 40-100 or 35-95.

I still need to get the action spot on and I do like a stupidly low action. With the higher tension strings I can make it even lower than it was before.

I am very happy at this discovery. The injury has really affected my playing and I'm discovering that even tiny changes can make a massive difference.

Roll on next rehearsal!

• Like 4

I play very close to the neck so I definitely appreciate the problem with low tension strings. In general however I prefer low tension/stifness than the opposite. I had a very bad tendinitis years ago, and that was on my fretting hand. So I want to take good care of both hands.

Still, I do not need strings to be as soft as TIs. I mostly play flats but I have some ProSteels 45-100 on a bass and they feel super-comfortable. I can imagine a 45-105 would also be a good feeling

I fully understand this - my fingers enjoy just flicking the strings, rolling them off the fingertips, so in general the heavier my left hand can bear, the more my right hand is happy. 

As you say, the good news for the left hand is that tense strings and a very light right hand allow for a properly low action.

Atm the moment I'm playing 50-110 Roto Bass, they sing out beautifully at the slightest touch. 50-110 Swing Bass, 49-109 Deep Talkin Flats and 50-65-85-110 Pro Steels have also been fine.

Rotosound's Monel flats weren't such a success though - perhaps they need a properly firm touch?

I’m finding that I get more of the note fundamental as well. Less fret clank so fewer overtones with normal plucking.

I like the sound of the Monel flats but they are such high tension they didn’t work for me. I also think I have a little bit of a nickel reaction to them.

I’ve given both my Sandbergs another quarter turn on the truss rod and the action is now stupidly low but with no fret buzz anywhere.

• Like 1