Why become a member? ×

Venting frustration - brand new bass arrives with inplayable set up.

chriswareham

A very belated update on this thread. I raised a complaint with the vendor and they offered to send new packaging for a return at a cost to me of £15. No complaints there, since I recycled the original packaging before checking the instrument out. Meanwhile, I checked it out a little more thoroughly. As I suspected, the first two frets were high on the bass side, hence the buzzing. A few days after the return packaging was delivered, a replacement instrument arrived with the same courier that then took the original one away. The setup on the replacement was fine, no buzzing and for a ham fisted player like me it needed no additional adjustment. So, I'll name the vendor - Andertons. I'd still prefer that they perform a decent pre-shipping check on all instruments they sell, but fair play to them as they replaced the bass at what would have been no additional cost to me if I hadn't chucked the original packaging away.

Edited by chriswareham
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, chriswareham said:

A very belated update on this thread. I raised a complaint with the vendor and they offered to send new packaging for a return at a cost to me of £15. No complaints there, since I recycled the original packaging before checking the instrument out. Meanwhile, I checked it out a little more thoroughly. As I suspected, the first two frets were high on the bass side, hence the buzzing. A few days after the return packaging was delivered, a replacement instrument arrived with the same courier that then took the original one away. The setup on the replacement was fine, no buzzing and for a ham fisted player like me it needed no additional adjustment. So, I'll name the vendor - Andertons. I'd still prefer that they perform a decent pre-shipping check on all instruments they sell, but fair play to them as they replaced the bass at what would have been no additional cost to me if I hadn't chucked the original packaging away.

It's a shame they didn't send a replacement so you could just use that packaging to send the dodgy one back. Would have saved you £15. I understand why they don't though,  because a lot of buyers would just keep both.

Glad to hear they got you sorted. They will most likely put out the one you returned on the B stock list.

On 23/10/2022 at 16:18, Grimalkin said:

I set them all up myself as soon as they have arrived basically.

Same here. By the time I've swapped in my strings of choice and let it settle for a few days it'll need tweak of the truss rod and the intonation will need redoing, then I want to set the string height to suit my own personal tastes. It could be set up in the shop by God himself but by the time I've done my bit it'll need redoing, so provided the basics are correct (nut cut properly, frets seated well dressed tidily, etc) I never sweat over the set up from the box.

However, in this instance it sounds more like a build QC problem rather than  set up issue. Nice to see Squier going the whole hog and trying to emulate Fender's hit and miss QC.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

It's a shame they didn't send a replacement so you could just use that packaging to send the dodgy one back. Would have saved you £15. I understand why they don't though,  because a lot of buyers would just keep both.

Glad to hear they got you sorted. They will most likely put out the one you returned on the B stock list.

Agreed. If its not fit for purpose its their problem as the contract is between you and the seller. They should have apologised and replaced it at no cost to you.