Why become a member? ×

Score readers discussion - ipad / android etc.

carlsim

Hi all… I have been an UnRealBook user on my ipad for many years. A lot of the gigs I do are reading gigs and I use pdf format real books for a lot of jazz gigs that I do. 
always been happy with UnRealBook, never had any problems and I like the way it works. I have also recently started using iRealPro as well. Anyway…

my iPad battery is on its way out and it’s time for a new one. I have been looking at the new 5th gen iPad Air, as I also want something that I can use a stylus with to mark electronic work (im a teacher in the day time…)

i was flummoxed today when I saw that apple had upped their price today by £100 for an iPad Air, add on £130 for an Apple Pencil it becomes ridiculous how much it will be once you add on a case. Getting close to 1k. 
so I start thinking about Android and found a good deal on a Samsung S7… comes with the stylus and Samsung are doing free keyboard cases at the moment. The problem is - UnRealBook isn’t available on Android. Nor is ForScore which is a viable alternative. 
iRealPro is on android, but I have to buy it again as you buy it from the app stores, not the developer. Really!!??

anyway… does anyone use Mobile Sheets on Android? Any other viable options on Android? I have an iPhone but not entirely sucked into the apple platform… plus I like that the S7 is a bit bigger than the iPad Air screen wise. Never a bad thing.

just wanted to know if anyone was an android / pdf music score kinda person and what their thoughts were… anyone??

Yes, iPads are very expensive.  I don't really like them that much.  But you don't need any processing power at all just to view PDFs - I recently got a vgc 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro with good battery for £200, if something like that's an option?  The huge screen is great.

I use a passive Adonit stylus - I think it was about £20.

If you're definitely going for the android - I happily used Mobile Sheets in my previous android days and it was fine.  I much prefer android to ios but my hand was forced somewhat since we use the Mackie app (no android version) for our band mixing desk.

8 minutes ago, carlsim said:

so is the experience of your iPad Pro with that pencil a positive one??

The Adonit is fine - I suppose though I'm using it only for pretty basic stuff (quick notes/corrections on scores - not writing large bodies of text).  Never tried an Apple Pencil so can't compare.

I also tried an older surface pro and that was terrible…

I'm no iOS fan - but I'd take it over Windows any day 😬