Why become a member? ×

NPsD: a delay and a reverb

bartelby

Recently I’ve been listening to a fair bit of early 90s Shoegaze.

So when I saw the Catalinbread Soft Focus I quickly crumbled and ordered one. I also got a NUX Time Core pedal as I wanted a delay with tails.

E8D7C4AC-FF21-452B-9277-AFBB9F6B784E.thumb.jpeg.2274ca5454e9d60956b4af50037ab393.jpeg

Whilst I got these primarily to use with guitar, I’ve just had a play with a bass through them.

The delay is great for £60. Up to 2000ms delay, 40 sec looper, tap tempo and tails. It does a lot. I may keep this for bass and use my EHX Memory Man tt550 for guitar.

The Catalinbread is their version of the Yamaha fx500’s Soft Focus patch ( think subtle shimmer reverb with subtler modulation), but with tweakable settings. It’s kind of a one trick pony, but it does it very well.

But running a bass through you can get really nice, dark sounding, pad style sounds. Chuck in the delay before, do some volume swells and add a few string squeaks and you get awesome atmospheric synth sounds and noises.