Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude Limited Mk3 controls

desmondpot

This is a question for anyone with a Yamaha Attitude LTD 3. I have a brand new Limited 3 and I'm just trying to wrap my head around what the controls are doing.

Twin output mode works as I would expect, each pickup having a linear volume control with a tone roll off and push/pull hi-cut circuit for the neck pickup. The pickups blend as I would expect. The middle pup retains it's clarity throughout.

It's the single output or "Mono" mode that is confusing me. It sounds to me like the volume controls for each pickup, instead of giving a linear increase in volume, now have a very sharp taper as you approach full output. So they seem to go from "off" to "on" in the last 10% of the pot range.

And then, when both pickups are blended with the tone on the neck pup rolled off, the middle pickup almost disappears from the mix.

I was wondering if anyone with a Limited 3 could tell me if this is designed behaviour or if this one's been wired up funny.

I've had a Mk1 and Mk3

Sounds about right. Using 1 output only really works when just sticking to a single pickup, or all on full.

When the outputs are joined you get insertion loss due to the loading on the pickups by a variety of passive controls.

On a jazz bass that gives the famous mid scoop sound that everybody likes. On a P with a massive woofer as well it's just a bit crap.

IIRC Billy's own basses don't join the outputs. Even at clinics if he is only using 1 output and wants to swap to the woofer he unplugs and re-plugs rather than just changing the volume controls.

• 1 year later...