Why become a member? ×

NBD - Hohner P Bass, Made in Japan, Late 70's??

Almost Simon

NBD - Hohner Precision Bass, made in Japan, I "think" late 70's judging by some other online posts but I have no evidence, serial number starts with 86####. Believe it was unused for many years, broken nut which I have now replaced as well as new strings/intonation sorted. It has the original bridge cover, replacement thumb rest taken from my Harley Benton PB50, Pup cover is long gone, sounds decent. No clue on value or rarity, bought for £50, for now its a keeper. 

IMG_7864.jpeg

IMG_7865.jpeg

• Like 10

Late 70s, IMO more likely early 80s, but definitely not '86, though. These were made by Moridaira Gakki (same factory that made Prince's famous MadCat Hohner Tele) and the serial sticker's a 100% ID. £50 was daylight robbery!

As yet it's not possible to date a Mori from the serial number, although there does appear to be a pattern to them. There are 5 & 6 figure variations, 8- prefixes are the most common although I've seen some starting with 7 and 0. I actually bought an 86- prefix Hohner guitar in 1984 (new old stock, so a couple of years old by then) which I hope confirms the number's not related to the year, unless I've been sponaneously time-travelling again.

Lovely bit of flame on the fretboard. B|

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Almost Simon said:

Thank you, date wise i could only see one post online of someone saying late 70s but 80s seems likely. Yep its the 6 figure ID on back of the headstock

Any view on value? I wont sell, its a lovely bass but always nice to try and guess a price.

Value's always tricky but I'd guess at least £200-£250. These days MIJ prices can be surprising in both directions.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

How are you getting on with the Hofner ?

I’ve just paid £150 for one almost identical to yours on eBay I hoping to use the neck on a 66 slab body P Bass “clone” as I haven’t been able to source a maple capped neck anywhere - I wondered how heavy your bass is as I may sick another maple neck I have on it and use it anyway - looks just like the P Bass I had in the late 70’s

cheers 

Pete

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Simon. The bass you have is identical to mine which was my very first bass given to me by my parents for Christmas either 82 or 83 (memory fades). It was brand new and I have kept it ever since. It's my main practise guitar, although still use it on stage when necessary. It has been modded slightly with active meg's and Badass bridge. Love and it will never leave. In terms of value the previous posters are probably not too far off. A great guitar that has lasted well for over 40 years.

IMG_3313.thumb.jpg.557dfd4a380b6f5a6da621813f0c6e51.jpg

IMG_3313.heic

• Like 4