Why become a member? ×

String Tension problem

Faithless

Well, I've started playing on bridge pup a la Jaco style (heavy diggin' in), and I feel that string tension by the bridge pup is just too high/heavy - it's not comfortable at all, if you try to 'dig in'...

So, I was curious, [i]if there's any way to lower the string tension?[/i]

My Ibby has MR-IV bridge (if it does make sense)..

[quote name='Faithless' post='466634' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:50 AM']Well, I've started playing on bridge pup a la Jaco style (heavy diggin' in), and I feel that string tension by the bridge pup is just too high/heavy - it's not comfortable at all, if you try to 'dig in'...

So, I was curious, [i]if there's any way to lower the string tension?[/i]

My Ibby has MR-IV bridge (if it does make sense)..[/quote]

lighter strings would help, for one

Well, dunno, if it'd be the best variant, as, aside from pop stuff (where I [i]need [/i][b]that [/b]sound from Bridge pup, sadly..), I'm playing in a rock band, even in A tuning sometimes (instead of low B, i mean), so, the heavier - the better, but..

Thinking of trying DR Black Beauties 45-125, as Ernie Balls go dead quite fast, so, maybe DR's will help in terms of tension also..

Edited by Faithless

I play in dropped A on my SR20th and it sounds suitably heavy, while still being very playable. I use Elixir medium gauge (45-65-85-105) with a medium taper-wound B (130).

Again, lighter strings will be the easiest way to make it more playable at the bridge - I don't think you're going to lose much in terms of tone with a medium gauge.