Why become a member? ×

TRADED. Mods please close. Fender Precision Lyte MIJ
£625
CARDIFF

Marc S

Really not sure I should be selling this, as it was part of the plan to future-proof my playing, as it is just so lightweight and easy on the shoulder and left hand joints. It weighs only around 3.2 or 3.3kg (I'll double check later). It has active electronics and sounds lovely. You can get typical P tones from it, but add a bit of Jazz "burble". The neck is also very slim (slimmer than some Fender J's) and very easy on the left hand. As for construction quality, it is a usual top drawer Fender Japan instrument.

This bass has obviously been gigged quite a bit, and has quite a number of swirls & dings, chips etc - which I will photograph later. On the rear, there's an area of buckle-rash / paint chipping, and I decided to fill this area with modellers filler, to protect the wood and help prevent further chips to the edges of the finish. It looks a bit rough, but it's on the back and is doing its' job. Again, photos later. After purchase, I had the bass set up, with a fret level, dress & polish, professionally (I'll send Luthier details if you need them - chap called Ben in Penarth). Bags of life left in the frets.

I had planned to mainly use this bass for gigging (hence not being worried about it being mint) - but now I always reach for my Classic 50's Fiesta Red Fender P, whether at home, rehearsals or gigging - it has become my "go-to" and all-time favouite bass every time. I'm thinking I might possibly go for something rather different to my usual choice of bass - so am reluctantly putting this up for sale. (Never thought I'd sell, but I've been on something of a clear-out lately - as I may be taking early retirement from full-time work next year).

I don't want to post this bass -  so Collection only (or may be able to meet somewhere half-way). Absolutely NO TRADES - I'm only selling to thin the herd.... and to maybe await that "different bass" - but take my time over it. I promised Mrs S I wouldn't buy before selling another. More pics later. These have rocketed in second-hand value in recent years, but I think the price reflects the chips & dings etc

EDIT: Just putting this out there - I may be tempted by a trade, for a Mustang bass - but I'm specifically after one with P/J pickups. 
Not bothered whether it's a Fender or a Squier as long as it's a P/J. Cash either way or straight swap, depending on value of the Mustang

EDIT2 - I'm possibly going to see a Mustang midweek.

IMG_20210515_124758210.jpg

IMG_20210515_124814991.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 11

• Marc S changed the title to Fender Precision Lyte MIJ - Possible Trade.

Just adding the photo of the damage & "repair" on the back.
It was a quick option at the time, and has worked OK, even though it doesn't look great. I had intended to get some more modellers filler, and some red paint, to improve its' appearance (my little pot of red enamel paint had dried up)
But tbh, I haven't really looked at it again even though it's a simple "fix" - again, I don't think too much about it, as it's on the back and out of sight most of the time.

I'd also forgotten that the neck heel has a tilt mechanism. When it was set up - this was set with the hex screw as fully "backed-off" i.e. unengaged.

EDIT: I described it as "buckle rash" but looking at it now, my belt buckle wouldn't be around there - depends where & how low you play, I suppose.

20220926_110112~2.jpg

Edited by Marc S

I tried to photograph the worst of the scratches & swirls. The bass is very glossy and some of them just didn't show that well. This is possibly the worst area, and looks worse in the low angled bright sunlight I needed, to get it to show. Apologies, I was in the middle of cleaning both my P basses, and hadn't spotted that there was a lot of dust still on this one, esp near the neck. (static electricity, maybe). Looking at it again, the fretboard is a lovely dark rosewood.

EDIT : the cross lighting in the close-up photo makes the defects look worse than they are IMO.

Also, I just retouched that area on the back of the bass, with some gloss black, and that looks a bit tidier now too....

20220926_105921.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

Just adding this view of the same area, photographed in different (less harsh) lighting.

Just pointing out that the vertical "lines" around the pickups are reflections of the strings, of course. This bass is rather shiny.

20220927_180230~2.jpg

Edited by Marc S

• Marc S changed the title to TRADED. Mods please close. Fender Precision Lyte MIJ