Why become a member? ×

Simple Plucking Technique For A Fat Tone

greghagger

Tone is so important for us bass players. Without a good sound, what do we have? 

Most of the time when we practice at home at low volumes or using headphones, we lose perspective of how tiny tweaks and changes to our technique can make massive differences when playing live at much louder volumes.

A loud amp or PA will amplify any subtle changes we make and that is something we should always be aware of when practicing.

When I first started putting serious work into my bass playing in the early 90's I went to a more advanced bass player for some help with my sound. He showed me a simple change I needed to make and to this day that has stuck with me and it's something I'm always aware of. 

I've made a YouTube lesson on this technique because it's something that I often see  new students missing and you may also need to work on this to improve your tone.

This technique involves the mechanisms behind how you pluck the strings and it's a simple technique that anyone can start to use from beginner to intermediate players.

Maybe you mastered this technique ages ago but I'm sure that there is something in this lesson for everyone....

There are exercises in the video that you can also download on a free PDF. 

Enjoy! 

https://youtu.be/9pLDn7RaEn4