Why become a member? ×

Price tag on stingray/precision

J66Bass

Hello long time I haven’t participated and Sorry for my average English, 10 year ago I bought 2 bass ;a standard precision and a stingray, for exactly the same price on  second hand market , I unfortunately part exchange my stingray and regretted since day one I did the exchange to a shop …Ten later musicman has decided to put a major price tag increase on their stingray by i believe nearly 30 per cent increase in the space of 12 months, resulting in every one selling their on second hand as the same hike compared to second hand precision who offer a better value on second hand, 3 years ago when I tried to sell my beautiful natural wood on Basschat no one was even interested to buy or commenting a GLWTS, now at present, every one is gone completely mad (lol) and suddenly addicted to stingray, how strange 😂,are we becoming price tag because a company has changed their marketing attitude, are we addicted to corporations ,i let you please respond your thoughts, I m not trying to be judgmental just trying to find a perpective of the perplexe of human thoughts and behaviour, in good fun manner..JM 

• Like 1

Yep, I think second hand tends to sell at 50-70% of new price depending on condition. When I traded my 3EQ stingray 10 years ago the value was £550. Should have asked for a bit more but it was the going rate at the time. Now I would get double that. 

The MIM precision I bought 16 years ago for £350 new would easily get that now. Same for the Ken Smith I passed up on for £5k new around 5 years ago, now they cost £8k and the s/h price is £5k. 

• Thanks 1