Why become a member? ×

Importing a bass from the US

ReeV0

I've bought two basses from the US, exactly the same process the two times.

Except this: the first one, when the parcel had just arrived in the UK, my tracking told me to cough up, which I did, obvs. A few days later, I got a "paid invoice" in the post, basically just a receipt for the money, I suppose. The second one, though, I never got told to cough up. I haven't received anything in the post. Yet.

On 06/08/2022 at 09:57, BigRedX said:

IME it is only worth privately importing any music instrument if all of the following are satisfied:

1. The brand/manufacturer does not have a distributer in your country.

2. It is second hand.

3. It is something you really want and you can afford the price including shipping VAT and import duty.

Edit: A Stingray does not fall into the categories above. Suspect that by the time you've added on shipping VAT import changes and handling fees it will be about the same as buying one in the same condition in the UK.

Add to that list 

4. You are prepared to suck up all incoming courier costs, tax and duty plus return courier costs if the bass is faulty and you need to return it

5. You are aware of the local (state) law of the seller which may mean you are screwed even if they are 100% at fault

6. You accept that even if the bass is 100% as described, if you don’t like it you will probably make a big loss if you sell it within a few years of buying it

I fell foul of 4 and 5 in 2008 and 6 in 2009 and will never buy a bass from the USA again