Why become a member? ×

Not a windup ... or is it?

SamIAm

I built Twiggy, a 5 string fretless shortscale from a 2x4.

So much fun that I've decided to try again with another  ... Flo - A 5 string fretless EBB5 homemade shortscale bass( Diary will be here) and I intend to document as much as I can.

I thought woodwork and shaping was beyond me at 60 but it turned out to be so enjoyable and relaxing.  I'm blessed to have received much support from BCers and I know have access to a fairly complete woor/metal/electronics workshop so am kicking things up a notch.

I've often pondered winding my own pickups and wondered if folks could direct me at any useful resources, offer advice and experience to support me in this undertaking.  I've a fair amount of experience in digital electronics but nil in analogue so it seems rather daunting, but the thought of doing so really appeals!

S'manth x

Hopefully this doesn't upset the mods.... 

Go over to TDPRI (just for this topic obviously!). They have quite a few pickup winders there. One of the sub forums is for all stuff DIY. There's a pickup winding thread going at the moment. People there are almost as helpful as here! 

• Like 2

The factors that go into a pickup seem legion.

• Wire gauge
  • Number of winds
  • Scatter vs neatly sided by side
  • Tension?
  • Magnets used

Any advice for a 5 string bass pickup? (Buy one is not desirable, I want to to make my own for the deep satisfaction it will being)

You're certainly embracing the DIY ethos for your basses. You could have a look at https://www.electricherald.com/pickup-winding-guide-part-i-approach/. I'm sure I've seen something about DIY pickups that was a practical guide but I can't remember where (although ISTR it was quite frustrating due to the tendency to break the wire). If you happen to have a few 45 year old copies of Everyday Electronics hanging around, there was a DIY guitar in that for which there were directions on winding the pickups (which were incredibly low impedance). Aha, this Usenet thread points the way: https://groups.google.com/g/uk.d-i-y/c/wvkqLMGZ1Ow?pli=1 except that the articles on vintage-radio.net aren't there.

• Like 2