Why become a member? ×

Rode NTH‑100. Anyone tried these?

dave_bass5

Ive been reading up on these and quite fancy trying them for music creation/headphone playing at home. 

The price seems reasonable and i like the ‘innovations’, just cant decide if they will be different in a good way to my AT  M50x’s, which i love but can hear they aren't that neutral. 

Not asking for recommendations, just about the Rode’s specifically.

Well, to answer my own question, they sound great. Sonically worlds apart from my AT M50x’s. Smoother and overall less fatiguing when using for long periods of time. Much more comfortable (although i dont find the M50x to be uncomfortable as such).

Not so great with general music playback, as with any monitor type of headphone they can sound boring, but with my keyboard rig, and using a DAW they seem much more true to life. Ive mixed a couple of my old tracks and what i hear in these match my speakers and daily EarPods much more than with the M50x. 

I bought a pair of these when they came out, and have used them quite a bit, including comparing them with other headphones on the same material. To my ears, they sound pretty much indistinguishable from the Sennheiser HD650s that I normally use for hi-fi listening, with the advantages of being closed-back and a lot easier to drive. They don't have the treble lift of the ATH-M50X or DT770, and they seal to my (large-ish) head well so the bass extension is excellent.

I've found them comfortable for long periods of use. Mechanically they seem reasonably solid, and it's useful being able to choose which side the cable comes out. On the downside, they don't fold, the bag they come with is rubbish, and the two cables they come with are both fairly sticky rubber so they get caught on things (especially guitar straps!) and make irritating mechanical noises. I need to see if it's possible to bodge a compatible 2.5mm connector and make a better-quality cable...

Cheers. I was surprised on first listen to how different they sounded to my m50x. In a way the m50x is closer to what i hear with my keyboards through a PA, quite bright (maybe too bright), but the Rode seems to smooth thing out nicely for home playing. 

They will just sit on my desk, and as they are wired ill never use them with anything other than my PC/keys, so not bothered about them folding etc.

Last year i had the m50x and DT770 for a while, and ended up sending the DT770 back as they made my ears get hot very quickly. I cant say ive had issues with the m50x, but so far i much prefer the fit of the Rode. Only problem i have (with both sets), is that my head is small so both are on the smallest setting. Luckily thats just right, but i do find the ear cups of the Rode to be a bit nicer. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up sending them back. While i liked them, i was disappointed in two things. The noise isolation is rubbish, and my ears got hotter faster than with my m50x. Not a big deal as such, but as the blurb (and all the possible biased reviews) rave over these two points i felt the rest wasn't worth the cost. These were two of the main reasons i got it. 

I now have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X. In fact my second pair as the first had a faulty short cable and one ear kept cutting out. 

Still got the same issue regarding fit as with the 770, but im sure this time I’ll give them more of a chance. 

I’ll use the m50x still, but the 700 are much more pleasant sounding, even if they arent as bright.