Why become a member? ×

Should the pickup cover stay on?

Paolo85

Right, so that's probably a stupid questiin. I am about to replace some pickups for the first time in my life. I have received today a Wilkinson P and a Tonerider J.

In one of the Wilkinson pickups as well as in the J, the pickup cover does not stay on.

That was not the case the couple of times when I got some pickups out in the past. Besides, the Wilkinson comes with screws and springs for the screws so I am not sure what would keep everything together. The Tonerider came with foam (although the description said it would come with springs)

Is that normal?

Thanks

20220721_205132.jpg

Yes and No...

Some do, which is some times handy, some are glued and don't... Often Split P covers are over wide at the ears, and the pup bobbin can fit in a smaller cover... if it isn't glued in!

So Foam underneath gives the pressure to keep the pup bobbin in the cover... then screws 'n springs to adjust...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

Some covers have a little notch to hold the bobbin....or a dab of hot glue gun (if ya got one) to hold in place...

Got a Entwistle PJ set coming, and might need to change covers due to the ears, shame as Entwistle covers are branded....

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Thanks. I may return the Wilkinson to be honest. It was sent wrapped in a piece of paper basically. And they provided springs instead of foam which are clearly not suitabe. I don't know.. I don't have a great feeling about it. I'd rather return when I still can do it with no hassle...

Tonerider was from another seller and at least was in a box 

^ Yep...

But if you have a glue gun i'd blob a bit at each end at the bottom of the ears... easier to pull off if need be...

Wilkinson Alnico's? They get favourable reviews... from Wilkinson via ebay? Check listing / description... See if they can just send you some foam if thats what they are meant to come with...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes that's the Alnico one, bought via Amazon from VansonGuitars (first time I use them) as I get free delivery. I am sure I can get foam easily, just I am a bit puzzled by the packaging as well as the cover. For what I know they could have sent me used pickups