Why become a member? ×

Can I run my Mark Bass LM3 with no load?

ossyrocks

Quick question.

I’m doing a little impromptu gig this afternoon. Everything through a little PA, but there’s no bass preamp or anything. 

I was thinking I could just use the LM3 as a preamp with no load, but I don’t want to damage it. Mine is an earlier class AB version.

What do you think?

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

• ossyrocks changed the title to Can I run my Mark Bass LM3 with no load?

No worries. I just found this on the Markbass website:

"Can I use my Markbass amp without connecting to a speaker cabinet?

Yes, any Markbass amp can be used as a preamp only. We recommend that when doing so, you turn off the master volume (not essential, but it's better for the amp). The gain control and/or the Line Out level control will regulate the output from the amp."

• Like 1

Same goes for virtually all non valve amps, ie Solid State amps without power tubes.

There are a very few vintagey solid state amps that employed output transformers similar to the valve amps they were replacing. Maybe a few 'throwbacks' as well. If you have one of those you should know it always needs a cab on it.

41 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Same goes for virtually all non valve amps, ie Solid State amps without power tubes.

There are a very few vintagey solid state amps that employed output transformers similar to the valve amps they were replacing. Maybe a few 'throwbacks' as well. If you have one of those you should know it always needs a cab on it.

My experience in the past has always been with valve amps. I’ve never owned a solid state amp until I got the LM3, so hence the reason for my caution. Thanks for the reassurance.

Anyway, it went very well, and I had some monitoring too, so I was happy.