Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GWB1005

nilorius

I bought it new in 2007. Actually it is luthier made bass - Sugi guitars in Japan, but it is Ibanez Gary Willis signature model with an original Gary's signature on the backside on electronics cover. The body is made from 2 piece swamp ash. Neck - 3 piece maple, fingerboard - ebonol. A few years later ebonol was changed to ebony. Very light 5 string fretless bass. Feels so comfortable to me. Sounds ideal. Pickup - custom made by Bartolini bridge soapbar (you can't order or buy at Bartolini). Electronics - push/pull - active/passive volume control and bass/treble control. 9 volt battery. 2 octave lined fingerboard. Tuners - Gotoh. When i bought it, i undertood that this bass gives me all the sound i was looking for before. Very universal sound, exept hard rock and metal. Also from pickup to bridge is installed detachable ramp with gives You easier playing when changing Your hand position. Very low string height. Perfect 5 string fretless. Worth the money.  

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

There have been threads about fretless basses in rock/metal, what is it about the sound of this one that makes you think it's not suitable?

It can't attack very hard on low frequincies and is built to play very light, no super agressive sound can it take, which i suppose is needed in hard rock and metal.

• Like 1