Why become a member? ×

bridge replacement question

dajaphonics

I was getting help on another forum with my short scale ET-280 bass. At some point, someone installed a new bass bridge which I think had too wide of spacing. I was having issues with intonation, fret buzzing, and the e string had very low volume. I took out the bridge pickup, and He also didn't give the bass enough string length. I found the old bridge and put it back on. In the original bridge position, putting the saddles all the way back intonates now ok and was able to get it into a position where I can actually hear the E string. People at the other section were saying I should just try setting the bridge back. After the guy swapped the new pickup, he messed up the original hole so now the original pickup sort of lifts up as well (making it disconnect with the ground wire). 

So I'm looking for opinions if I should just move my original bridge back a little to give more string spacing. I would also like to add the string tension now seems really tight and kind of difficult to play. Alternatively I was wondering if a new short scale bridge would be preferable.

The photos of the original bridge are below.

PXL_20220426_115943099.jpg

PXL_20220426_115938934.jpg

Seeing as it has a lot of wear and has already had a different bridge on I would just measure up where the intonation points need to be and stick a better one on, having only two saddles each housing a pair of strings isn't ideal anyway and those grub screws look painful. Allparts do a threaded saddle one so spacing shouldn't be an issue, would be in keeping with the aesthetic too:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/allparts_vintage_style_bass_bridge.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ6TBhAIEiwAfl4TWOJ8_5GQBbIalRTgjm9ootYTWyK1LqjzZkaFinu2QAwPB39lW9O7aRoCOyYQAvD_BwE

Alternatively look on AliExpress or something for short scale/narrow spacing basses, there's tons of bridges on there and most should have a technical diagram. What spacing do you need?