Why become a member? ×

It’s a theory

WAYNESWORLD

Feel free to shoot this down. Within the last 12 months I changed to FrFr set up used mostly as a back line. I know this goes against the general consensus for bass but it appears to work very well. I have always received great feedback on my sound regardless of equipment used. I put this down to frequencies used more than equipment or technique. But since adopting the new set up  I get great feedback on my bass sound. I couldn’t understand. After trying to figure out why this was happening considering I have been lucky enough to have owned some seriously expensive stuff over the years but other musicians and drummers are telling me this new set up sounds great. For me all I was using was a couple of Pa speakers ( Headrush 112 ) Line 6 pod go and. Couple of  5 string Ibanez bass’s SRSC & srffr. Not the cheapest but no where near a boutique set up. The only thing that made sense was that although the cabs did not go as low frequency wise as traditional bass cabs the frequency they did propel was hitting quite hard and prominently establishing its place in the mix 

I’m sure side by side other bass cabs differences would be obvious but this is true of all set ups and only relevant in those circumstances. Please give me your views I am intrigued in this real world outcome  a situation which was not quite what I expected when I switched from a traditional set up to FrFr.

Do not underestimate the quality of dispersion.

I was playing in a band where the lead guitar and I would often riff off one another. The 'stage' at one pub was just a bit wider and flatter and one time I took the 215 instead of 115 210 tall stack.

He's struggling to hear what I am doing because he's on the far side and too wide of the 15's to get the tone, so he's working off bumpity bump bump bump only.