Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB1005

Oscar South

After being the biggest fan of this bass for the 2.5 years I've had it, I'm letting it go, I've downsized to 4 strings under orders from my university tutors and I really need to get a higher quality 4. This has been my main bass for a good while now and apart from the battery compartment lid coming off (I just put a bit of tape across it now) and a few tiny dings in the finish its in perfect condition.

[url="http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=79015464.jpg"][/url][url="http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=57740342.jpg"][/url][url="http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=60903753.jpg"][/url][url="http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=31968490.jpg"][/url][url="http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=85644651.jpg"][/url][url="http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=70308984.jpg"][/url]

Some manufacturer info:

The Yamaha TRB 1005 is constructed to meet the demands of bassists looking for a bass that plays, sounds, and looks beautiful. The TRB1005 features top quality woods and versatile electronics. The body is made from high-grade Alder and crowned by a stunning Quilted Maple top. The 35 inch scale neck is constructed from three pieces of maple for extreme stability and is topped by a solid rosewood fretboard.

The TRB 1005 is fitted with two Alnico hum-canceling pickups, made exclusively for the TRB in Yamaha's Japan factory. The pickups are mated to a proprietary active preamp that features a three-band EQ, master volume and blend controls.

Key Features of the Yamaha TRB1005 Active Bass Guitar:

* Unparalleled playability with quality and features to rival the world's finest basses
* Alder body with quilted maple top
* 3-piece bolt-on maple neck
* Rosewood, 19 11/16 inches radius fingerboard
* 35 inch scale length
* 2 Alnico hum-cancelled pickups
* 3-Band EQ
* Master volume, pan-pot, and 3-band EQ controls
* Solid brass bridge

A few reviews:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Yamaha/TRB-1005/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...a/TRB-1005/10/1[/url]

I cannot recommend this bass enough, I've never played a bass that feels and sound as good as this one for the price band its in. I'll upload some pictures of the actual bass pretty soon.

I'm looking to get hold of a good 4 string so I'm open to trade offers (specifically, if anyone has a 4 string TRB then I'd be very interrested in trading for that, but I'm looking for potentially any bass) and I'll also sell for cash. I'll put a price on it soon but for now its open to offers. [b][I've since bought a new 4 string and so this is now just for sale, £370][/b]

Thanks,
Oscar.

Edited by Oscar South

Thanks, Rich.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='458123' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:38 AM']would an Ibanez SR900 be of any interest as a trade?[/quote]
I'll do some research on that bass, where are you located?

[quote name='OldGit' post='458110' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:15 AM']:)
Eh? What are you studying?[/quote]
'[url="http://www.chester.ac.uk/undergraduate/popular_music.html"]Popular music & performance[/url]'
Its actually a pretty good course and moderately well regarded, the lecturers really know their stuff and are great musicians too. Its nothing like a traditional course obviously, its not so much a course to teach you to play as to teach you how to work in the modern music industry. On the musical side of it they focus on session musicianship skills; as far as learning your own instrument its a case of the course showing you what aspects you need to improve, and giving you the resources, expertise and knowledge of how to improve them, the session musicianship stuff is pretty intense though and very good experience. Academically they teach you about the business side of the 'job' and there is also a lot of work on the more 'theoretical' academia of music.. standard analysis, journal reading, essay writing stuff, it is interresting though.

I know on internet forums because of this Jeff Berlin stuff and other factors people like to critisise any music course that isn't well established over hundreds of years of standard practice, but I think this one is ahead of the game because it focuses less on individual playing and more on actually making a career out of it and on developing the skills required for that. Who does a music course for the qualification anyway? (unless you're strictly a classical musician). Its about what you get out of it and the contacts you make.

As far as the 'under orders' thing, I'm not actually literally under orders, I played a 5 for the first year and a half then switched to 4 for a change a few months ago after I picked up a nice Cort (from here actually) that I wanted to try out. I was much better on 4 than 5 and they recommended I stick with it, and I agree.. I played 4 strings for 4 years before I switched to 5 and I just simply 'play better', I get more productive practice done, I'm technically better and I rarely even use the low notes anyway, I'm more of a middle regester guy.

Edited by Oscar South

i'm based in north Hampshire but can travel. The Ibanez is a through neck with maple body 'wings' in transparent black.
Bartollini pickups and 3band active eq and comes with Ibanez hard case. It's 2 years old and in excellent condition. It does have very narrow neck which isn't always to peoples taste. Only reason I am looking to shift it is I recently bought a 5 string and would like a second 5 rather than have a 4 that isn't getting any use.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='458131' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:46 AM']I was much better on 4 than 5 and they recommended I stick with it, and I agree.. I played 4 strings for 4 years before I switched to 5 and I just simply 'play better', I get more productive practice done, I'm technically better and I rarely even use the low notes anyway, I'm more of a middle regester guy.[/quote]

Oh that's Ok then .. :)
Thought it was a course on antediluvian bass playing where the only real bass is a 4 string ...

[quote name='Oscar South' post='458131' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:46 AM']Thanks, Rich.

I'll do some research on that bass, where are you located?

'[url="http://www.chester.ac.uk/undergraduate/popular_music.html"]Popular music & performance[/url]'
Its actually a pretty good course and moderately well regarded, the lecturers really know their stuff and are great musicians too. Its nothing like a traditional course obviously, its not so much a course to teach you to play as to teach you how to work in the modern music industry. On the musical side of it they focus on session musicianship skills; as far as learning your own instrument its a case of the course showing you what aspects you need to improve, and giving you the resources, expertise and knowledge of how to improve them, the session musicianship stuff is pretty intense though and very good experience. Academically they teach you about the business side of the 'job' and there is also a lot of work on the more 'theoretical' academia of music.. standard analysis, journal reading, essay writing stuff, it is interresting though.

I know on internet forums because of this Jeff Berlin stuff and other factors people like to critisise any music course that isn't well established over hundreds of years of standard practice, but I think this one is ahead of the game because it focuses less on individual playing and more on actually making a career out of it and on developing the skills required for that. Who does a music course for the qualification anyway? (unless you're strictly a classical musician). Its about what you get out of it and the contacts you make.

As far as the 'under orders' thing, I'm not actually literally under orders, I played a 5 for the first year and a half then switched to 4 for a change a few months ago after I picked up a nice Cort (from here actually) that I wanted to try out. I was much better on 4 than 5 and they recommended I stick with it, and I agree.. I played 4 strings for 4 years before I switched to 5 and I just simply 'play better', I get more productive practice done, I'm technically better and I rarely even use the low notes anyway, I'm more of a middle regester guy.[/quote]

I think your music teacher probably needs to stop being so ridiculously close-minded and misinformed! If one of my lecturers told me to downsize to a four I'd tell 'em to kindly 'F' off! Where abouts do you go?

Best of luck with the sale. Hope that wasn't hijacking your thread too much.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='458622' date='Apr 9 2009, 05:45 PM']I think your music teacher probably needs to stop being so ridiculously close-minded and misinformed! If one of my lecturers told me to downsize to a four I'd tell 'em to kindly 'F' off! Where abouts do you go?

Best of luck with the sale. Hope that wasn't hijacking your thread too much.[/quote]

Chester. He advised me to downsize after seeing me play both and I agreed with him: I do play better on a 4. Nothing closed minded about that, plenty of other bassists here play or have played 5 strings as their main, he uses a 5 string in our tutorials a lot of the time.

Edited by Oscar South

Not that I'm a professional musician or anything, but I have done bits and pieces of session work and pit orchestra stuff, and I would say that it would be advisable to at least own a five string and be proficient on it. It doesn't have to be your main bass, but I would say it's better to have the option should a job come up which needs a five string. A lot of pit orchestra stuff is actually notated for five string, and just wouldn't sound right on a four.

Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='ryan0583' post='458755' date='Apr 9 2009, 07:43 PM']Not that I'm a professional musician or anything, but I have done bits and pieces of session work and pit orchestra stuff, and I would say that it would be advisable to at least own a five string and be proficient on it. It doesn't have to be your main bass, but I would say it's better to have the option should a job come up which needs a five string. A lot of pit orchestra stuff is actually notated for five string, and just wouldn't sound right on a four.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Yeah I do agree, but at the moment I need the money to fund a good 4 string, I've got a few decent 4's knocking about so I'm going to string one BEAD in the meantime, but I do intend to get another good 5er in a few years time.

This bass is now for sale only

Edited by Oscar South

The battery compartment is the most obvious place where they saved money over the Japanese TRBs. It does let the side down somewhat. However, and I had the same problem on a TRB1006, Yamaha will sell you a new one quite cheaply and it just plugs in. Hope this helps if someone was a bit put off by that.

• 2 months later...