Why become a member? ×

New (old) cab day (tomorrow)

Dankology

I've long wanted to supplement my 15" GP12 SMX combo with a 4x10 cab but have never quite managed it.

Last night I fell into conversation with some folks on the Facebook Trace Elliot group and someone recommended a 2x10 - I went looking for a photo and accidentally found a fairly tidy looking 4x10 on sale at Johnny Roadhouse for £100 - which seemed silly to ignore.

So, vomitty child permitting, I'll be picking it up tomorrow in good time for rehearsal later in the evening. Given that the combo on its own loosened every light fitting in the house when I first bought it, I am really quite excited about this addition.

Do pray for my lumbar spine though.

40 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

A word of warning if I may: A 1x15 is no match for a 4x10. The 15 will be in peril. A 2x10 is a far better choice. Have you considered the impedance of each cab and whether the Combo can safely drive both cabs?

You've obviously never watched me shopping on Ebay... No, I have not considered this at all.

In fact, my only process here has been knowing someone with a similar set up and assuming I could do the same with my amp.

This is the cab:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trace-Elliot-4x10-Bass-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-/165322491861?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

And the amp is the aforementioned GP12 SMX combo. Have I done something daft here?

If you are lucky you're alright. Iirc they made them in both 4 ohm and 8 ohm. Unfortunately they used pens with ink that all faded away so the only way to tell is put a multimeter across a 1/4" lead and see how many ohms it reads. Should be around 6 ohm of DCR for an 8 ohm cabinet. 125w per cab won't be a problem so long as the combo is on top where you can hear it.

Either way if you whipped up a couple of 210 cabs you could take the amp out of the combo and make a good little easy shifting rig.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2022 at 05:47, Downunderwonder said:

You should check the DCR on the 410. If it's 4 ohm the amp might go for a while at 2.7 ohms but the extra heat will do it in.

Sorry - I missed this reply. I checked the resistance in the shop before taking it home: it was something like 6.4ohm - which reassurred me based on your earlier advice.

Seems to be working well and I'm liking the sound too 😀

Edited by Dankology
  • Like 1