Why become a member? ×

Anyone demo the Ashdown Classic Series cabs?

bassguppy

[quote name='bassguppy' post='456666' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:27 PM']Can anyone give their opinion regarding the Ashdown Classic Series cabs? Any tone diffferences between those and the ABM series? Thanks!![/quote]
there is one or two users of those cabs on here so you will hopefully get a reply.i will also be interested in the outcome. :)

[quote name='bassmansky' post='462310' date='Apr 14 2009, 04:30 PM']phatbass would be the one to give you an answer if he was on here.i watched the specials on jools holland and their bassist was using a klystron head with two classic cabs and it sounded good to me,but then not a true reflection i suppose.watch it on youtube.[/quote]

My ears are burning! :) I currently use the Ashdown Classic cabs but also owned ABM ones in the past so heres my 2 pence. The classic cabs are not really what their name suggests in the fact that they are actually more modern sounding than the ABM, they seem to have quite a bit more top end attack and definitely a bit more clarity and generally brighter, the speakers are also very powerful and respond very directly to how much power you give them(sounds daft but a lot of cabs get to a point and then volume doesnt change) and keep on going without compressing. The ABM to my ear are great for that vintage sound, boomy but controlled bottom and fat mids but im my experience are great workhorse cabs, i think if its not price dependent than you need to demo both and choose with your ears, however with the classics you are getting more versatility and the Made In England kudos. Hope this helps.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='462554' date='Apr 14 2009, 02:18 PM']My ears are burning! :) I currently use the Ashdown Classic cabs but also owned ABM ones in the past so heres my 2 pence. The classic cabs are not really what their name suggests in the fact that they are actually more modern sounding than the ABM, they seem to have quite a bit more top end attack and definitely a bit more clarity and generally brighter, the speakers are also very powerful and respond very directly to how much power you give them(sounds daft but a lot of cabs get to a point and then volume doesnt change) and keep on going without compressing. The ABM to my ear are great for that vintage sound, boomy but controlled bottom and fat mids but im my experience are great workhorse cabs, i think if its not price dependent than you need to demo both and choose with your ears, however with the classics you are getting more versatility and the Made In England kudos. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Yes, it's quite helpful.

I am an ABM user both previously and currently. I've tried the 410 (too heavy for my brittle bones), the 210, and 115. Also the ABMC115 combo, and RPM1 pre. Over here in the US it's hard to get much of an opinion because the Classic cab is not as popular as the ABM or MAG cabs.

I am considering getting 2 of the 410 (8ohm) Classic cabs. Will run both thru a QSC PLX3002 (for 3000 watts @ 4ohms bridged). Yes, way too much power but I'll be careful.

[quote name='bassguppy' post='456666' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:27 PM']Can anyone give their opinion regarding the Ashdown Classic Series cabs? Any tone diffferences between those and the ABM series? Thanks!![/quote]

Never played a Classic before but I have an ABM 810 and man...it's a beast! I find it quite old school fat sound wise (phatbass787 describes it quite well)...but that depends on the amp also. Good built quality and for an 8x10 it's quite easy to move. I power it up with a GK1001RBII and it gives me a very balanced combination and great variety of tone ranges. Try to play a Classic if you can, if not, I think you won't go wrong with the ABM series...but again, it depends on the sound you're after. Good luck!

Great price too!!

[quote name='bassmansky' post='463227' date='Apr 15 2009, 09:58 AM']agree with phatbass787 on the abm cabs.i want to try the classic cabs but many stores do not stock them,maybe something to do with their price tag?[/quote]

to be honest there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with this price.... :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Ashdown-Classic-NEO-414H-4x10-Bass-Cabinet-Cab-4-Ohm-NR_W0QQitemZ370178336082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370178336082&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Classic cab[/url]

Not sure if I should post the link since it's an ebay auction so i apologize if any rules we.'re broken

[quote name='bassguppy' post='463431' date='Apr 15 2009, 09:52 PM']to be honest there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with this price.... :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Ashdown-Classic-NEO-414H-4x10-Bass-Cabinet-Cab-4-Ohm-NR_W0QQitemZ370178336082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370178336082&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Classic cab[/url]

Not sure if I should post the link since it's an ebay auction so i apologize if any rules we.'re broken[/quote]
seems like a good price to me,go for it!shame its not free shipping to uk! :rolleyes: