Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz volume controls

alant

I have a USA and a Mexican Fender Jazz bass. I have rarely played the Mex one over the last few years.

I have noticed recently though the different response between the two when adjusting the vol pots. The USA version affects the volume when either pot is only slightly turned up; on the Mex bass I have to turn them until they are on almost full.

Can anyone advise if this is likely to be pots or pick-up problems. Thanks.

It could be that one has linear and the other log/audio pots, rather than a fault (assuming the volume when they are both up full is comparable). Plenty of advice online about the difference and which might be preferable.

It could also be that they are wired differently (do you know whether either has been modded in any way?). The traditional J bass wiring routes the neck pickup via its own and the bridge pickup volume control, which means they affect each other. You can also wire them so both run direct to the output. I'd take off the control plates, find a wiring diagram (plenty online) and compare them.

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

It could be that one has linear and the other log/audio pots, rather than a fault (assuming the volume when they are both up full is comparable). Plenty of advice online about the difference and which might be preferable.

It could also be that they are wired differently (do you know whether either has been modded in any way?). The traditional J bass wiring routes the neck pickup via its own and the bridge pickup volume control, which means they affect each other. You can also wire them so both run direct to the output. I'd take off the control plates, find a wiring diagram (plenty online) and compare them.

Thanks. I am not aware of any mods but will check the wiring and compare both.