Why become a member? ×

G&L Tribute SB-2 Bridge Pickup Too Noisey To Use

dpaulb

I have tried 3 different guitar leads and 2 different amps. It is definitively my bridge pickup making the loud noise (hum, buzz). The noise is not as loud when plugged into my audio interface and hearing it through my studio monitors.

What can be done to fix this?

5 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

An complaint repeated again and again on TalkBass's G&L thread is that the shielding in the cavities is mediocre at best, even on the US-built G&Ls, and can always be improved.

Agree. Unfortunately, G&L really isn't great at shielding. I had to send back several basses (US and Indonesian made ones) because of really noisy electronics. Not cool. However, it can be fixed, but I thought for a new instrument, I should not have to do it. 

The lowendlobster had the same complaint about a G&L Tribute recently: https://youtu.be/7zhWm__hs_o

He also had the same issue with a Charvel bass (which is a PJ bass like yours) and in this video he shows how to fix it. Hope it helps!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Agree. Unfortunately, G&L really isn't great at shielding. I had to send back several basses (US and Indonesian made ones) because of really noisy electronics. Not cool. However, it can be fixed, but I thought for a new instrument, I should not have to do it. 

The lowendlobster had the same complaint about a G&L Tribute recently: https://youtu.be/7zhWm__hs_o

He also had the same issue with a Charvel bass (which is a PJ bass like yours) and in this video he shows how to fix it. Hope it helps!

Thank you.

Part of me wishes I had not purchased it. I have had it for too long to return. Other than the noise I am very happy with it.

I shielded both pickup cavities, the control cavity and the pick guard above the cavities with copper tape. Then connected the bridge cavity shielding to the control cavity shielding with a wire. It is now much more quiet.

• Like 2