Why become a member? ×

Anyone know of any good technical exercises?

JamieBenzies

I wouldnt bother exercising that sounds like a usa "shredders" trick if you want to play jazz get into jazz music there is no exercise if you like it, play it! If you like Jaco pastorious get as much footage of him as you can and observe. Looking at your info i cant see much what would be classed as jazz and you cant play something well you are not into. Jaco pastorius is fantastic but he wont turn you into the jimi hendrix of bass,besides i think he was a bit more fusion. Try something by charlie mingus or listen to ron carter,to get an idea of straight jazz. Your photographs are good.

Edited by YouMa

Check out the Harmonized Major Scale: [url="http://www.thebassment.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=9"]http://www.thebassment.info/index.php?opti...=8&Itemid=9[/url]

This is one that is demonstrated by Jaco on that DVD.

Thanks for the help, the harmonized major scale bit seems to be the kinda thing i was looking for. But next time i have a spare tenner i'll definitely think about getting the Fingerboard harmony book.

And in response to Youma; Despite the fact I have only recently started listening to jazz regularly recently, i have been playing jazz for years since i was wee when i tackled life with a trumpet, so i do enjoy it a lot it's just taken a while to set in as a genre I listen to a lot.
To be honest i have no idea why I've taken so long 'cause, I'm finding stuff like Maiden Voyage, Milestones as well as some contemporary and fusion stuff like Robert Glasper, Weather Report, Chick Corea's Elektric band, John Patitucci and it's all brilliant. And i know i wont become the Hendrix of bass...:)

Thanks everyone,