Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Solving a conundrum - Hipshot Supertone bridge mounting screws.

Paul S

I like the Hipshot Supertone bridge as a replacement for the Gibson 3 point bridge plus cheaper generic ones you find on Epiphones et al.  I think it is nicely engineered, is an easy fit and not punishingly expensive.  When you buy one it arrives with a choice of mounting screws as the Epiphone and Gibson fixings are different.  I've had 3 over the years.  

So, I thought I'd treat my '71 Antoria EB-3 copy to a Hipshot Supertone upgrade.  This time the 2 point - first time I have bought one of these. Now on the Hipshot website the description page for Supertone bridges covers both the 2 point and 3 point models - if you want to buy from the site you choose via a drop down menu but the description for both remains the same.  And in that description is clearly says both metric and imperial screws are supplied.

So I bought one from Bass Direct.  When it arrived there were only two mounting screws which Sod's Law dictated were the wrong ones.  So I have been jumping on bass Direct about sending me the extra screws.  They don't have any in stock and are awaiting delivery from Hipshot.

To pass time a couple of days ago, I had a look at the downloadable pdfs on the Hipshot website giving the dimensions for each model to see what sizes the screws are.  And on those it says quite clearly that the 3 point bridge comes with 4 screws - 2 metric, 2 imperial.  The 2 point bridge pdf says it comes with just 2 imperial size screws.  I guess this is because it is only intended to fit on a Gibson and so no need for the metric Epiphone-fit ones.  I'd say it would have been handy if they had put this information on the description page 

So I emailed Hipshot to see if they could clarify.  Got a reply that admitted the description was confusing and, yes, the pdf version is right - they only supply 2 imperial bolts.  But they are going to send me 2 metric ones, which is nice of them.

So, if anyone is in a position of upgrading thier 2 point bridge on a MIJ Gibson-a-like do bear this in mind. :)