Why become a member? ×

Neck comparison - G&L L-2000, Spector Euro 4 LT, Musicman Sabre (reissue) and stingray slo special?

hartgeh28e30

Hi, I have been looking at these as potential victims as I love the tones you can get out of them all but finding one of each to try out locally is as likely as successfully plating fosters so the likely hood is having to decide and buy blind.  At present I have a stingray 4H 3 eq 2013 iirc and a USA 75 reissue jazz bass. I do love the feel of the stingray neck although at at times it can feel slightly on the chunky side (front to back) and have to wear the bass higher than I'd like for to be comfortable. How do these basses compare I would love to hear your personal experiences? 

G&L L-2000 = baseball bat. I didn't like it much - too thick front to back. Although I don't mind chunky front to back if the neck is a bit narrower.  For me it was to wide and too deep, but only enough so that it didn't leap into the hand rather than hard to play. Sold it after about a year  - I really tried hard to love it but it never jelled (year 2000 USA model).

I replaced it with MM Sabre re-issue and I really like the neck a lot - feels more like a 70's stingray I tried once and loved - thinner front to back and really nicely radiused - I think it's a compound radius - you can get up into the dusty area with ease - I don't know what it is but it sort of invites you up there in a way that other basses say "well, if you must! But you won't like it!". Sounds great too - much more usable than the G&L in terms of tone - you just plug it in and it sounds great, where with the L2000 I was always searching for the right setting.

Hope that helps - haven't tried the other two.

• Like 1