Why become a member? ×

Feeling horny.

Rayman

So I gigged with the Overwater on Saturday night through my Fender Pro 400 combo. Superb, over the moon etc etc, however.........why when playing the last song in the set, "Can't Stop" by the Chillis did the slapping blow the fuse in the horn? The amp vol/gain was sensible (loud, but not maxed out), and the output on the bass was sensible too. Same settings on the amp as I've used for months, but a new bass. Is the output from the Overwater enough to cook the horn? Bizarre.

The fuse probably blew because your amp was distorting on the peaks which in turn increases the HF energy. This used to happen with my Acmes before I got a more powerful amp. As you have a combo the only solution is to turn down and/or change your EQ. Counter-intuitively, reducing the lows on your amp is just as likely to solve the problem as is reducing the highs.

The change is likely to be due to your new bass having more true bottom than the old one.

Alex