Why become a member? ×

Warwick Fretless - how do the necks/boards feel?

xilddx

[quote name='Johnzy' post='432450' date='Mar 12 2009, 02:25 PM']they are just as flat, which is a little weird. I although the neck seem so much slimmer. it made me realise just how JUMBO those bell brass frets are![/quote]

Bloody huge aren't they! I love them though.

That is weird, flat 'board fretless would seem strange to me. I spose I'll have to nip to the Denm*rk Street and play one under the baleful gaze of an unhelpful surly person.

I played a lot of Warwicks in my search for a good fretless bass and the thing I found in nearly all of them was that the necks felt really sticky and not at all conducive to sliding fretless playing. The fretless Star bass on display at the LGS last year looked gorgeous, but the edges of the fingerboard were the sharpest I've ever come across on any bass which is completely unforgivable on a bass with a £1700 price tag. The only fretless Warwick I really liked was the JB Cream Reunion model but there's no way I could justify spending £4000 on an off-the-peg model!

Fretless Warwicks work great for me, but then I'm a hopeless fanboy! :)

Warwick necks are a marmite proposition, you either get on with the deep neck shape or you don't. You have to try them for yourself to make a accurate judgement.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a Warwick BO IV fretless crop up for sale on these boards? I have a collection to complete. :rolleyes: A quick search hasn't yielded any results...

[quote name='rjb' post='433273' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:14 AM']Fretless Warwicks work great for me, but then I'm a hopeless fanboy! :)

Warwick necks are a marmite proposition, you either get on with the deep neck shape or you don't. You have to try them for yourself to make a accurate judgement.[/quote]

I love the fretted neck on my 'vette, absolutely adore it. I just don't think I would like it as a fretless though. I might go and try a couple today. I might love them!

TRied a 'vette fretless today. Surprised how good it felt! Still a bit weird with such a flat 'board but I know I'd get used to it really quickly.

I also tried an EUB. It was unbranded but the guy told me it was made by Darkwood, never heard of them. It was very nice, I am tempted by an EUB or a Bass Cello.