Why become a member? ×

Bass player + keyboard + Reason = ???

paul h

I hate recording live instruments, I just do. So pretty much all the music I produce is just programmed into Reason. I tend to have mixed results, some things I'm very happy with, some things not so much.

However I have always missed a certain degree of "feel".

So, I decided to do some piano based tracks. I was going for that slightly eerie, slightly out of time down tempo thing that seems to work equally as well in a horror movie or a car advert! I guess my real inspiration would be the "Rachel playing the piano/unicorn" scene in Bladerunner.

The reason I went for that style is that I have absolutely no keyboard or piano ability. Whatsover. Therefore I think I might just about get away with it. The problem is this. It's very difficult for me to tell if it sounds "child like" on purpose, or it just sounds like a rubbish piano player.

Here is the link to my Audiomicro page. The new piano tracks are "Confessions", "Colder", "Dulce Muertos" and "Curious".

[url="https://www.audiomicro.com/artist/paulharckham"]https://www.audiomicro.com/artist/paulharckham[/url]

Thanks.

Paul.

[quote name='paul h' post='432199' date='Mar 12 2009, 10:04 AM']It's very difficult for me to tell if it sounds "child like" on purpose, or it just sounds like a rubbish piano player.[/quote]
Neither really.

Listened to Colder, Duce Muertos and Curious. I liked the atmosphere (particularly on Colder) but with regard to the piano, I don't really know what to say. There's not enough substance in the piano parts to comment on as you're only really using the instrument for chord progressions, I didn't hear much of a melodic/lead role in there which is where it'd be particularly noticeable if it was child like, rubbish or genius.

Heard a few little right-hand piano fills which, with the exception of the 1 note in Colder (appeared occassionally and personally I found a little irritating), didn't have enough about them to actually judge.

I don't want to sound too negative or apathetic, just thought I'd offer my perspective on the piano. Also, I don't think spooky is as easy as you might think - guys like Elfman make it sound so simple but I used to bash my head against a brick wall trying to get similar results.

Thanks for the comments...much appreciated.

To be honest, a lack of substance is not actually a bad thing for these pieces. They need firmly to fall into that "aural wallpaper" category! :) It's all about the atmosphere.

As long as they are not overtly rubbish I am happy. Especially considering the amount of time they are taking to do.

And I agree about spooky being harder than it would first seem. I scored a short horror film once and after using a few chromatic scales and dissonant chords I ran out of ideas! That's why I tend not to compose to order any more. I'm not very good at it. I would rather just record whatever that pops into my head, and hope someone somewhere has a use for it.

Thanks again for the input.

Paul.

[quote name='paul h' post='432410' date='Mar 12 2009, 01:51 PM']To be honest, a lack of substance is not actually a bad thing for these pieces. They need firmly to fall into that "aural wallpaper" category! :) It's all about the atmosphere.[/quote]
Yeah definitely. And the atmosphere I liked.

By lack of substance I only mean that I couldn't really hope to judge your piano ability on the basis of the parts in those tracks. I didn't mean it in a bad way.

Understood completely mate.

But that pretty much is my piano ability! LOL.

I can find my way around a keyboard just from programming but I have no idea what fingers to put where. I have trouble doing more than one finger bass parts. And I have no idea what chords I used in any of those pieces.

I just plonk my hands down until it makes a nice noise!

I have to admit enjoying it immensely. It's so nice to be able to achieve the required sound so easily. You gotta love Reason!

P.

[quote name='paul h' post='432460' date='Mar 12 2009, 02:32 PM']And I have no idea what chords I used in any of those pieces.

I just plonk my hands down until it makes a nice noise![/quote]
Ok you get extra points for that. I wouldn't have realised you didn't have any idea what you were playing.