Why become a member? ×

NOBD - Status s3000

Dazm66

Thanks to Ash on this forum, I took delivery yesterday of a stunning early 90s Status Series 3000. Having fought off my lockdown GAS successfully so far, I crumbled when this came up. Like a lot of bass players my age, I’ve lusted after a Status since they were adopted as the weapon of choice by Mark King. And this is an opportunity to own a relatively affordable one.

I’m definitely not disappointed.

It’s a magnificent beast. I own 3 other very decent basses, but this is almost a step up again in terms of sound. Each note has a focussed quality that none of the other basses has, from open strings to the high end of the fretboard. The neck is a wonderful shape that, so far, suits me down to the ground. Need more time to play with the eq possibilities but the basic tone is very much up my alley - think Entwistle on Quadrophenia, it’s got that piano-like quality. I understand from the previous seller(s) that the finish was a special order for a German shop. It’s a trifle leerier than my usual with the gold sparkle, but why not! I can see this becoming my go to 4 string.

Are the any downsides? It ain’t light! I’ve never weighed the basses I have and just assume that they’re about average, but this seems heavier. I understand, again from previous sellers, that it’s walnut under the paint, but I expect carbon fibre to be light (F1 and all that). I think that because it’s headless it seems heavier than it actually is? Anyway, touch wood, my back is fine so I’ll live with it until I can no longer (or can afford a brand new one!).

Really looking forward to giving this one when we're allowed.

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

• Like 1